Interesting possible new offering from Fender

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
Just saw this on Instagram. I'm sure it'll be like $3000 or something like that:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453320951.970935.jpg

It’s a cool guitar, but this is a stupid mistake for Fender. Chasing trends doesn’t work for Fender because their brand is built around Leo’s old designs. Pushing these boutique-looking guitars is going to water down the Fender brand just like trying to sell superstrats watered down the Fender and Gibson brands in the 1980s and 1990s. FMIC needs to start picking its MBAs from better schools.

It’s a cool guitar, but this is a stupid mistake for Fender. Chasing trends doesn’t work for Fender because their brand is built around Leo’s old designs. Pushing these boutique-looking guitars is going to water down the Fender brand just like trying to sell superstrats watered down the Fender and Gibson brands in the 1980s and 1990s. FMIC needs to start picking its MBAs from better schools.
Its already pretty watered down. I'd be curious to see what the actual sales figures for the American STandard and American Deluxe models are vs. both their import offerings and Gibson. I see way more Gibsons than American made Fenders around here, even at the ridiculous prices that Gibson charges. Most folks I see in this area seem happy with an import strat or tele. Or if they have the money to drop $1500 on a guitar they ante up and get a custom shop Fender or a boutique builder.

I am suspect of that Bigsby. Not the way I'd go about it.
Look how jammed up to the bridge the tension bar is. Then look at the Reverend. Much better break angle. Much better set up even with just a standard b5 and tunomatic.
Pickups I'd love to try tho.

Stupidly oversized pickguard is stupidly oversized. As is the latter CBS-era huge headstock. Among the least appealing Tele's I ever seen from Fender...and effin' love Teles. The pups are of interest though, just not in this guitar.

I wouldnt call it a mistake as it is a custom shop one off. I dont see how that speaks against the brand. Isn't that the point of a custom shop? To build unusual one-offs?

Too many damn knobs. I don't want to be feeling all around my geetar to adjust it. I want the bare minimum to mess with.

Back