Interesting BOSS stuff

Help!I'maRock!

Mediocringly Derivative
One of the guys from TGP got to meet a higher-up at BOSS. He took suggestions from TGP prior to the meeting.

Thread: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...s-japan-for-lunch-ideas-for-products.1791864/

Update: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...as-for-products.1791864/page-14#post-23510354

Crux of the biscuit:

What is coming for sure:

More Waza. The Dimension-C was encouraged as well as the Slow Gear.
Editors for the DD-500 and ES-8. This was interesting because what they are doing is a software platform that will work with the entire boss line (that allows editing) but each pedal will have its own GUI. They have been working on it for awhile but wanted to wait until the foundation was solid before they released. This will be soon.
A 2x12 cab for the Katana head.

Things that were brought up:

New Space Echoes both the real ones and other form factors.
New "higher end" multi-fx units like the Helix.
RV-500. Probably on its way.
RV-Multi Mod also probably coming.
Lots of discussion on buffers and TB and possibly a switch.

:thu:

Good to see a big company listening. Boss does make some good quality pedals, and so many current boutique designs are copies of original Boss circuits. They just need to up their QC a bit and keep doing exactly what they were doing at that meeting.

Interesting indeed, since Roland Corp. seems to give zero fucks about what their customers want. This has been the case for several years now. They haven't been issuing firmware updates or even current drivers for the bulk of their most popular current gear, they refuse to release visual editors for same... I have been very frustrated and disappointed to say the least. Just to get my Juno Gi to work in windows 10, I had to rewrite the code on the Win7 driver. Bullshit.

I wonder how the Boss Division could be so accommodating?

I'm glad to hear that they are, but it's mysterious to say the least.

Interesting indeed, since Roland Corp. seems to give zero fucks about what their customers want. This has been the case for several years now. They haven't been issuing firmware updates or even current drivers for the bulk of their most popular current gear, they refuse to release visual editors for same... I have been very frustrated and disappointed to say the least. Just to get my Juno Gi to work in windows 10, I had to rewrite the code on the Win7 driver. Bullshit.

Synths and drum machines are hot right now. And the Roland division has been selling hit products as fast as they can make them. So it doesn’t matter if people are unhappy as long as they’re buying. Sure it will bite them on the ass later, but publicly traded companies are focused on quarterlies.

But Boss isn’t doing so well. Between boutique brands, EHX and Digitech making boutique gear, and Mooer/Joyo undercutting everyone, Boss sales are probably not looking so good. Even if Boss is doing well the CEO probably wants to know why everybody else is doing the innovating and has better marketing. So the Boss team needs some more big hits or heads are going to roll.

I'm glad to hear that they are, but it's mysterious to say the least.
That's because they're listening to people on TGP. Shit they're happy if it comes with a box and pay a premium.

I like Boss pedals, just got a chorus pedal yesterday. I've bought their older Distortion/Feedback pedal several times but always sell it since I don't do nearly as much guitar playing as bass playing.
My singer is into boutique and vintage pedals but I'm happy with what I use (Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz, Boss Chorus CE5 & Mooer Funky Monkey). I finally got smart and bought pedals that I like and can use with guitar and bass.

I've always had very good luck with Boss gear. It's well built and they sound great.
I'm hoping that the newer discount pedal makers will drive down the pricing on the other brands out there. The public clearly can see that a decent pedal can be made for far less than retail pricing would indicate.

I've always had very good luck with Boss gear. It's well built and they sound great.
I'm hoping that the newer discount pedal makers will drive down the pricing on the other brands out there. The public clearly can see that a decent pedal can be made for far less than retail pricing would indicate.

I doubt you'll see price cuts from major brands. There's equity in their brand name. It's why Gibsons are so expensive. But there will be more competition.

I doubt you'll see price cuts from major brands. There's equity in their brand name. It's why Gibsons are so expensive. But there will be more competition.

yeah, introducing a budget line of products is one thing but you don't want to de-value your already established product's position or your brand.

Skip the 100 and buy whatever it is you're going to sell that one for. :lol:
savage-002.jpg
burn

Boss has a huge hit with the Katana right now. I can vouch for how good it is :embarrassed:.

Boss has two problems with the Katana. First, it’s bargain priced gear that competes with Boss’ own line of premium priced pedals. Second, most amp trends don’t last. What happens in two years when the Katana isn’t hot anymore because the market is saturated?

Boss has two problems with the Katana. First, it’s bargain priced gear that competes with Boss’ own line of premium priced pedals. Second, most amp trends don’t last. What happens in two years when the Katana isn’t hot anymore because the market is saturated?

Release another amp with a new set of features so people buy it. Just like they always do.

From the OP, I'm personally encouraged by the idea of a Helix-like offering. I'm actually quite impressed with the $200 GT-1. It doesn't run in pedalboard mode though, so it doesn't fit my needs. But I fully expect BOSS, Digitech, and Line6 to offer more Helix level choices in the next couple of years.

Back