INAD, Update: 2Short baby all in them guts...

Knox in Box

Rustbelt refugee.
Indifferent New Amp Day

I put it out there that I had bought a used amp on the Facebook marketplace the other day. A Pearl G-3, MIJ somewhere in the eighties I guess, nothing to be found online.

Screenshot_20211211-160748_Facebook.jpg

My guess from the looks was that it's geared towards Jazz players, never saw one with stackable preamps before either. Dude had it up for 39€. Curiosity killed me, I went for it and payed shipping and 6 bucks extra because that price was silly for a 1/12 solid 50 watt combo. Even if I just used the cabinet for something else, the tolex is clean.

Got it today and plugged it in, it has a bit of noise and can use some contact cleaner in the pots. The mid control squeals when you turn it but is quiet when left alone and volume 1 only works after 8 on the dial.

Someone also snatched the reverb tank out, but I see that as a chance to buy a quality unit compared to what was possibly there anyways. I can get a TAD tank for 25 bucks.

Anyways, it sounds pretty good for dry clean transistor wattage, it can get loud. I have yet to try pedals into it because I was pressed for time. I'm relatively positive it will take them as well as my normal transistor amp does. Cab is solid as a brick. If it comes out a bust I'll transfer my Kustom 12 Guage into it since it's cab rattles.

Does anyone know why a pot would squeal when turned?

I also emailed Pearl musical instruments Europe and asked about it. They were no help. The logo on the back is definitely the drum company. They answered right away in a very nice way that they had no info to give on the guitar amplifiers.

it has a bit of noise and can use some contact cleaner in the pots. The mid control squeals when you turn it but is quiet when left alone and volume 1 only works after 8 on the dial.

Does anyone know why a pot would squeal when turned?
Contact cleaner may help. Check the solder joints, also. Make sure the wiring is not shorting to other wiring. All else fails, replace the pots.

Last edited:
I'd pull the chassis and check the pot connections and other end terminations. If someone already pulled the reverb tank, I'd give the reset of the wiring a once over anywho

I'd pull the chassis and check the pot connections and other end terminations. If someone already pulled the reverb tank, I'd give the reset of the wiring a once over anywho
Please explain "the reset of the wiring". No idea what you mean. Is there an issue with pulling the tank, or better can it cause some?

Please explain "the reset of the wiring". No idea what you mean. Is there an issue with pulling the tank, or better can it cause some?

Rest
You've got an older amp with some issues, at least one sounds like it might be wiring related, and for whatever reason someone pulled the reverb tank. You don't know what's going on under the hood till you start looking or take it to someone to give it a once over.

Update:

Pulled the chassis today and sprayed the pots. This cleared up everything but the "Volume 1" Problem, it still only engages at 8 on the dial. At max it's still clean and has a good responsive sound. Volume 2 is not my bag on it's own. It likes to give a slight fuzz in the lower mids to the sound which does not sound natural. Maybe some lofi tone ranger like Josh Homme of Jack White could make a million with that tone, but not me.

I was prepared to vacuum it out, but this thing is spotless because the chassis is fully sealed, except for the top, but the tolerances are very tight and it looks straight from a factory dust wise.

IMG_20211220_094731.jpg

IMG_20211220_094902.jpg

Pots had that little handy cover to get to them.

Speaker is a pretty nice solid piece of gear that I like the sound of.

IMG_20211220_101302.jpg

IMG_20211220_101343.jpg

Still have to wipe out the cabinet.

Sound is pretty darned good and it takes pedals well. Bright switch does what you expect, and the highs are nice and spritzig without sounding harsh. Mids control doesn't squeal anymore and sit around 2-3k maybe a bit less, definitely on the dark side. I'm happy and looking forward to snagging a reverb tank soon.

Question is TAD or Accutronics?

Back