I'm trying to understand my current fetish to but a Rat-style pedal

"to but"?? Do you mean "to build" or more likely "to buy"? If buy, not sure what aspects you are looking for but I love, love, love, my BYOC based rat clone that a guy who goes by Duhvoodooman built. You might remember him from thefret.net. I don't think he builds them any more, but I think you can still order one, or maybe just get one kinda like it from another BYOC source.

From Robert

And from the builder, Bob Matthews
http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/RRv2.htm

I like using the LED mode a lot, as it is a little fuzzier and fatter at low volume, but the other standard modes are fun too, and probably would work well in a band context. I almost never use the "Ruetz" switch. I do not see that these are built by him anymore, but might be a good kit to build up if you wanted to.

Or, you might be just looking to buy a RAT sounding pedal without a project. I support that too. I like them. :)

I like most overdrives. They all have different colors as well as waveshaping. Probably why I don't flip things too much. If I want that sound, I have it.

Regarding the Rat, I prefer the LM308 chip - the original. I believe that some of the newer ones use a different chip. They do use a slightly different circuit.

I'd love to build one but I'm not sure I could commit to a project even this simple.

I avoided the Rat style for years, but it made sense finally to use for my heavier playing. I got this one and love it. Killer tone and a LOT of versatility.

Last edited:
With everything going on lately I just don't have much time for a build. It would be pretty therapeutic though...
I am enjoying my guitar build/mod project despite craziness. I just keep it off any sort of time schedule to make it not stress adding, rather than stress relieving. But I am motivated so it keeps moving. I suggest a little project if you have any inclination. Something to turn the rest of your mind off with.

I went for years ignoring the Rat because I thought it was a hair metal thing.
I finally got a new Rat 2 a couple of months ago and LOVE it. It's so much more than that. The most usable Dist/Boost/OD pedal I've ever used. I could get by with just this as my only such effect on my board, if I didn't mind stooping over a twisting a knob once in a while.

Back