I think Mark will dig this.....Florida's last Civil War Veteran.....

Coralkong

Alien
awesome1.jpg

Photo taken in Janayr 1955. Note with photos reads, "Celebrating his 107th birthday, Florida's oldest living Civil War Veteran, Uncle Billy Lundy of Crestview, Florida prepares to board an Air Force plane at Eglin Air Force Base."

c023162-florida-archives-billy-lundy-at-elgin-air-force-base_595.jpg

Photo taken in January of 1955Note in archives accompanying photo reads, "Florida's oldest living Civil War Veteran, Confederate Uncle Billy Lundy and a group of Air Force men during Uncle Billy's 107th birthday celebration at Eglin Field."

lundy-with-women_595.jpg

Photo taken January 1955 at Elgin Air Force Base. Note accompanying archives photos reads, "Military life shore has changed! Uncle Billy Lundy, celebrating his 107th birthday at Eglin Field, is the last Florida Confederate Civil War Veteran."

This guy is the original "Most Interesting Man in the World."

I bet he played guitar. And I bet he played it well.

Pretty cool the guy made it that long.

Florida has an interesting history in the civil war, as parts of the state were Union strongholds, despite the state's confederate leaning. The keys, and the port and railhead at Everglades city on the west coast were always part of the Union. Even back then, Florida was a mix of northern and southern interests, with a pretty complicated dynamic. I've learned a lot since I moved here.

Last edited:
Pretty cool the guy made it that long.

Florida has an interesting history in the civil war, as parts of the state were Union strongholds, despite the state's confederate leaning. The keys, and the port and railhead at Everglades city on the west coast were always part of the Union. Even back then, Florida was a mix of northern and southern interests, with a pretty complicated dynamic.

You know, it's interesting.
I don't know too much about Florida's Civil War activities, other than I know for sure wanted ports. To deliver goods and to stop goods from going further north.

I lived for 20 years in DE, and while not a hotbed of N/S tension, it pretty much sits on the Mason Dixon line. I found one of the markers in the woods one time. Pretty wild stuff. (And yes, I know the Civil War wasn't fought on that boundary, but it was pretty roughly accurate.....).
What I mean is......I lived right on the border. Going south, and everyone was cool, but they said I had a northern accent. I've heard it more than a few times in my life.

Going north (even living here, and I have a "chameleon" accent, having lived all over the country), they say I sound "southern".

But I enjoy the south for the most part. Too hot for me, but, hey, to each their own..........

I miss Shenandoah National Park camping with my friends......really do. They all went to a Bluegrass Festival out in Gettysburgh, PA this last weekend. I really wish I could go, and I am sure it was beautiful and all.....

But then I look out back, and you know....I can get over it.

Tangent, I just went off on one......sorry about that.

You know, it's interesting.
I don't know too much about Florida's Civil War activities, other than I know for sure wanted ports. To deliver goods and to stop goods from going further north.

I lived for 20 years in DE, and while not a hotbed of N/S tension, it pretty much sits on the Mason Dixon line. I found one of the markers in the woods one time. Pretty wild stuff. (And yes, I know the Civil War wasn't fought on that boundary, but it was pretty roughly accurate.....).
What I mean is......I lived right on the border. Going south, and everyone was cool, but they said I had a northern accent. I've heard it more than a few times in my life.

Going north (even living here, and I have a "chameleon" accent, having lived all over the country), they say I sound "southern".

But I enjoy the south for the most part. Too hot for me, but, hey, to each their own..........

I miss Shenandoah National Park camping with my friends......really do. They all went to a Bluegrass Festival out in Gettysburgh, PA this last weekend. I really wish I could go, and I am sure it was beautiful and all.....

But then I look out back, and you know....I can get over it.

Tangent, I just went off on one......sorry about that.
Well, the part of NH you live in has, historically, been pretty closed off and anti outsider. People up north can tell from your accent which side of the notch you live on, and they know about your Canadian great grandfather. Connecticut sounds southern to them, so any thing even near the south must sound like an invasion to them. I'm sure it has changed since I last lived there.

Well, the part of NH you live in has, historically, been pretty closed off and anti outsider. People up north can tell from your accent which side of the notch you live on, and they know about your Canadian great grandfather. Connecticut sounds southern to them, so any time even near the south must sound like an invasion to them. I'm sure it has changed since I last lived there.

You know.....I've lived in.....let's see:

Born in Wooster, Oh
Brother born in St Paul (we lived in Minniappolis. I almost died falling off the porch into a snowbank), Minnesota
Cinncinatti, OH
San Fran, CA
Ft Worth, TX
Upper Darby, PA
Chesapeake City, MD (1)
N Chesapeake City, MD (2)
Stratton, NJ
Bellingham, MA (1)
Bellingham, MA (2)
Hollypond, AL
Ocean City, Florida
Hyannis, MA
HoneyBrook, PA
West Chester, PA
Newark, DE (like 5 or 6 times)
East Wakefield, NH.....
New Durham, NH

Probably missed a few.....

'Bout time I settled down.

My sister and brother in law were visiting my wife and I last month. He was in the Air Force in Viet Nam with my brother. He was telling us a story about it where some friends of his got killed and started crying. Never saw him do that before. Those guys really got screwed coming home. That's Memorial Day I guess.

Crestview? Holy Crap! I live 20 miles from that ex-geezer! My uncle flew Phantoms based from Eglin during Nam. Amazing I now live a mile or so from there.

You know.....I've lived in.....let's see:

Born in Wooster, Oh
Brother born in St Paul (we lived in Minniappolis. I almost died falling off the porch into a snowbank), Minnesota
Cinncinatti, OH
San Fran, CA
Ft Worth, TX
Upper Darby, PA
Chesapeake City, MD (1)
N Chesapeake City, MD (2)
Stratton, NJ
Bellingham, MA (1)
Bellingham, MA (2)
Hollypond, AL
Ocean City, Florida
Hyannis, MA
HoneyBrook, PA
West Chester, PA
Newark, DE (like 5 or 6 times)
East Wakefield, NH.....
New Durham, NH

Probably missed a few.....

'Bout time I settled down.

LOL...Ya...About time to settle down for sure...

Cool to travel too though sometimes, even if it's against your will..

Your story reminds me of the dude that wrote this from my home province...

Back