Help! I need to buy a suit

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
For a meeting in Silicon Valley.
Company execs will be there. So, I need to look stylin’
I don’t necessarily need a tie, but a suit and shirt kinda deal.

My current suits are basic and old.
I even have a tweed blazer with suede patches on the elbows.
Not gonna cut it, I think.

What’s the style these days?

The last suit I bought was in the 90’s and it’s the only suit I’ve ever owned, so I’m absolutely no help on this.

I think no matter what it is if it is tailored to perfection you'll be good

This. Fit is king. Any well tailored wool suit will work.

I need to get a suit as well, just to have one. I've lost 35# since I last had my suit tailored and I am not sure it can be brought in that much. I was going to wear the suit coat a few weeks ago and it was so loose it looked terrible.

Buy a very nice one in your price range & it will last you & be in style for a long time. The shirt is equally important. There are some very cool ties out there if you choose to take it up a notch just in case.

Reading my post in the light of the next day, it looks like a flex that I’m going to Silicon Valley.
That wasn’t my intent. I’m going to my company HQ.
The reference to the area was to add context for the style question.

I don’t want to fit in in Toronto in January.
I want to look half decent in Sunnyvale in January.

Also, I may have found a place.
IMG_1981.jpeg

Is Jos. A Bank a good place to buy a suit? :shrug:
The only other place I can think of is Mens Warehouse if they are still open and/or Macys. I needed a suit last year for a wedding and ended up buying at Macys. I wore it that one time. Good luck.

Just keep it conservative. Wool or wool bend, no obviously shiny polyester, wide lapels, extreme padding, or other crazy stuff, Neutral conservative classic colors like dark grey or navy.
Mens Warehouse, JC Penny, Macy's, Goodwill, or wherever you can afford just make sure you get it tailored. Its never gonna look really good and put together otherwise.
(And dont go overboard baggy or tight either way with the fit either, keep it classic)

Is Jos. A Bank a good place to buy a suit? :shrug:

Jos. A Banks sells cheap suits for young guys who don’t know better. People who actually know about clothing can spot them a mile away. I learned this when a partner at my husband’s law firm told him to stop wearing Jos. A Banks to work. If you need to impress rich people you need to go to Brooks Brothers or Nordstrom. If you can’t do one of those try Men’s Warehouse; they’ve come along way and don’t just sell cheap suits now. The important part is getting the suit tailored; if you need it in less than a month you’ll probably have to find a local independent tailor to do it as the store tailors are usually backed up for weeks.

Reactions: Tig
What's your budget?

£300 got me a bespoke tailored suit from Thailand for the King's Garden Party from this place: https://modshopping.com/

You pick the fabric, lining, style etc... follow their measuring guide and that's it. Order to delivery was less than 3 weeks and a few guys I know have suits from there too. They're all great quality and for not much more than an off the peg number.

I ordered some tailored shirts too that are really high quality fabric and only £20 more each than OK quality off the peg shirts here. Honestly couldn't recommend enough.

Reading my post in the light of the next day, it looks like a flex that I’m going to Silicon Valley.
That wasn’t my intent. I’m going to my company HQ.
The reference to the area was to add context for the style question.

I don’t want to fit in in Toronto in January.
I want to look half decent in Sunnyvale in January.

Also, I may have found a place.
View attachment 87906

I didn't take it as "a flex" at all.

Also, does the Fashion Fart have blowout prices?

I was going to order something online. They send a fitting garment, then you send it back, and they make your suit to fit.
My wife talked me into going to the Black Friday sale at my usual menswear store.

Suit, 3 shirts, tie, pocket square.
Edit: 4 shirts. One is on order.
Done.

The sleeves are longer than shown here, as they should be.
IMG_1982.jpeg

IMG_1983.jpeg

This one is probably not for the suit, but I liked it.
IMG_1984.jpeg

IMG_1985.jpg

I was going to order something online. They send a fitting garment, then you send it back, and they make your suit to fit.
My wife talked me into going to the Black Friday sale at my usual menswear store.

Suit, 3 shirts, tie, pocket square.
Done.

The sleeves are longer than shown here, as they should be.
View attachment 87917

View attachment 87918

This one is probably not for the suit, but I liked it.
View attachment 87919

View attachment 87920

you look different than I expected you to!

Back