I have to admit, I'm pretty annoyed with a guitar maker right now

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
So a few months back, I decided to send my the manufacture to have the neck profile changed on my guitar from a fatter to thinner profile.

When I emailed customer service(the same guy I've been dealing with since day 1), he told me that it would take about 6 weeks. I shipped the guitar to them the next day. It's been over 2 months since they have had the guitar and I don't have the guitar.

I emailed the guy on Nov 19. He said that everything was done and he expected the guitar to be completed by the end of the following week. I contacted him at the end of the following week, he said that it would still be a few weeks.

WTF?!?!?!

I told him that in his last email he said that it would be ready by that week. He said that he wouldn't have sent that... I have the email that shows this.

At this point, I just want an actual ETA of when the guitar will be completed. No more of these "couple of week/end of next week" responses.

I guess it's hard to give an exact day of this, but I wish he would at least keep his story straight of the ETAs.

Done my rant.

Sorry to hear about the problem. I hate it when I'm looking at an email, and I get told that they have no memory/wouldn't have sent such a message. I'm also not a fan of folks that run and hide when something goes wrong, refusing to take responsibility for something they said. But then, that's a story for another rant.

Is it getting a nitro finish? Not trying to make excuses but, nitro takes several weeks to dry before it can be buffed out. And if an error is made in the buffing, (it happens), the clock goes back to zero.
Just think about how great it's going to be when it finally arrives!

Is it getting a nitro finish? Not trying to make excuses but, nitro takes several weeks to dry before it can be buffed out. And if an error is made in the buffing, (it happens), the clock goes back to zero.

good advice

And if an error is made in the buffing, (it happens), the clock goes back to zero.

This.

In all of the experiences I've heard with the PTC, they're obsessed with getting it perfect regardless of how long it takes. They don't just say "close enough" and ship it out only to have you not be happy.

If that is the case though then it's still pretty shoddy customer service not to keep Mystix in the loop about what's happening with his guitar.

If that is the case though then it's still pretty shoddy customer service not to keep Mystix in the loop about what's happening with his guitar.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind if they're taking extra care on the guitar because they want to make a right. My problem is that I've been told numerous things about the status of the guitar and they keep on changing. My last email to customer service said that I wanted to know a specific date or at least an ETA of when I would be getting The guitar back.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't mind if they're taking extra care on the guitar because they want to make a right. My problem is that I've been told numerous things about the status of the guitar and they keep on changing. My last email to customer service said that I wanted to know a specific date or at least an ETA of when I would be getting The guitar back.

Some folks get pissed when you tell them you f'd up and need to start over. I know I don't care how long it takes as long as they keep me updated. I would rather get the email saying the finish got f'd and they need to start over than an email saying, 2 more weeks and that not happening.

Update

On December 8 I received an email from the manufacture saying that the process is taking longer than expected and that it would be completed by the end of this week. I was told that my rep would speak to the department working on the guitar and find out an exact date of shipment.

I emailed the rep earlier this week asking him if he was able to find out exact day or an ETA of when the guitar would ship. He didn't respond so I emailed again today saying that he promised me an ETA last week. He responded just now saying that the guitar would be ready not this week as he originally said, but it would be done either next Monday or Tuesday.

If the guitar is not ready by Monday or Tuesday I think I'm going to escalate the issue. My problem is that I keep on getting the runaround I went to guitar will be ready. I'm tired of hearing a couple more days a couple more days a couple more weeks

Yeah, at this point the lack of communication is a recurring issue and definitely worth mentioning to the higher ups.

Keeping an eye on this one.

I once had a 1955 Les Paul restored and got an endless runaround to the point I was pretty angry. All the guy had to do was tell me something truthful. Or, better yet, tell me it wouldn't be ready for another 4 weeks and then send it out ahead of time. Then he would have looked like a hero. We guitar players can be an emotional lot when it comes to our beloved instruments.

At this point I would just forget about and convince yourself that it's still 3 weeks away. Getting upset isn't going to help and will only further cast a bad vibe on the whole situation. I know. I've done it. Wish I hadn't.

I'm really looking forward to reading your post about the great job they did and how happy you are that it's all behind you!

It's also interesting that I shipped out a guitar to be refinished to California earlier this month. They were able to completely strip the guitar repainted make sure it cured within a week and a half it's already on its way back to me and I should have it before Christmas. Marty Bell is who I use for that and so far I can say nothing the pot

Last edited:
I seem to remember my PRS CE 24 having a dead neck pickup not long after I bought it (in 1993), and since I was young and stupid, I sent it to PRS for warranty repair.

I think it took almost 2 months to get it back, which sucked since at the time my only other electric guitar was a homemade body with Carvin neck, hardware, and electronics.

Just checked on the BAM forum.... average time for any kind of refinish is 7 weeks. I think you got an overly "trying to please" rep if they tried to make you think any sooner.

I had a Fender repaired under warranty many years ago, and it took like 4-5 months to get my guitar back. I feel for you, but I guess it is better to have it slow and good than fast and crappy. Sounds like their communications need some work, as you would probably be fine if they told you upfront it was going to take 4 months. The 'next week' thing is annoying as hell.

Back