Hot dog!

I mean, I guess you could be making a statement, but anyone who would be offended by that statement isn't eating Hebrew National hot dogs. They're not Glatt Kosher, which means they're not actually kosher. So really, it's just a better quality dog.
Agreed. It's a damn good dog.

No Vancouver/Japadog - total fail.

I think the thing is that Japadog offers many "gourmet" mash-up hotdogs...but is there one version that dominants local tastes. Must of the dogs listed are how the locals consider a "hot dog," not necessarily the best or most outrageous offer by region. But I don't know these days, there certainly was not "regional" hot dog when I lived in Vancouver 20 years ago. They didn't feature the Lucky Dog for Nola either, despite but ubiquitous in Nola and tied forever to the city by "A Confederacy of Dunces."

They also missed the bacon-wrapped hot dog, which is sold by every unlicensed street vendor in L.A.

Last edited:
I think the thing is that Japadog offers many "gourmet" mash-up hotdogs...but is there one version that dominants local tastes. Must of the dogs listed are how the locals consider a "hot dog," not necessarily the best or most outrageous offer by region. But I don't know these days, there certainly was not "regional" hot dog when I lived in Vancouver 20 years ago. They didn't feature the Lucky Dog for Nola either, despite but ubiquitous in Nola and tied forever to the city by "A Confederacy of Dunces."

They also missed the bacon-wrapped hot dog, which is sold by every unlicensed street vendor in L.A.

Yeah, the Terimayo. The JapaDog street vendors typically only sell 3-4 kinds of dogs on any given day, and they vary. But the Terimayo is always on the menu. If I'm spending any time downtown in Vancouver, I usually get stopped by visitors/tourists looking for directions to JapaDog a handful of times each year. Right up with Stanley Park, the Aquarium, the Art Gallery... Sometimes they'll ask directions to Vij's. Keep in mind that I often get the sense that many visitors/tourists seem to look for a white guy to ask these questions and, as often as not, I'm a minority when I'm walking around. Racism can be relatively subtle sometimes.

Back