Home from Jury Duty

Gary Blanchard

beloved, local musician
For the first time, I actually got to see the inside of the courtroom. The case they were trying? An OUI.

If you were a defense lawyer, would you want a guy who does court ordered substance abuse assessments and who has taught DUI classes on the jury? Neither did this one.

Operating Under the Influence. Just a variation of DUI.

Here in Massachusetts we don't get paid anything for the first three days as the employer is supposed to pay. That was fine with the school, but doesn't help the private practice. Plus I had to pay $15 for parking. :rolleyes:

Operating Under the Influence. Just a variation of DUI.

Here in Massachusetts we don't get paid anything for the first three days as the employer is supposed to pay. That was fine with the school, but doesn't help the private practice. Plus I had to pay $15 for parking. :rolleyes:

That sucks.

Here in WV, you get $40/day, plus round trip mileage and parking (if applicable). And it doesn't matter if you are there for 1 hour or 10 hours, you still get the full pay.

Plus, my employer still pays me regular pay, so when I had Jury duty, I got my regular pay, plus about $50/day.

And they don't tax you on it here. :embarrassed:

MA sucks.

It was neat seeing a display they had in the jury room about the justice system in Massachusetts, including the Bread and Roses Strike, Sacco and Vanzetti, and Ponzi. We have quite a history here.

Last edited:
In Michigan you either get paid for a half-day or a full day. It's not much money, but my employer makes up the difference.

So, If I serve a half-day and get paid $20, I would have to come in to work for 4 hours and get paid for 8 hours, minus $20.

Back