Holding Your Breath Under Water

tompetty

Sporting a hammer...
It may not seem like it's music related but in a way,it is...

I'm fresh out of the shower and whilst I was in there I was thinking about my lack of water survival skills.

I can't go under water without plugging,(pinching),my nose.
I've tried and I have no idea why most people can yet I can't...

I grew up with a Dad that was a fisherman for much of his early life that couldn't swim a stroke,and a Mom that I witnessed saving someone that was sure to drown in a current had it not been for my Mom...

My three girls are all life guard trained and are cool with swimming and water....

I've asked them this same question and they pretty much say that I have an over active mind that won't allow me to relax enough so that I don't breath while under water...

Oh,music related.....Many years ago I took vocal lessons and the chick taught me how to regulate my breath whilst singing...LOL...I actually ended up teaching her but that's another story....

Anybody else?????

You actually shouldn't hold your breath underwater. One of the first rules of scuba diving is to never hold your breath.

If you hold your breath while you ascend, the air in your lungs expands and causes an embalism. Not good.

You actually shouldn't hold your breath underwater. One of the first rules of scuba diving is to never hold your breath.

If you hold your breath while you ascend, the air in your lungs expands and causes an embalism. Not good.

This is assuming you have a tank full of air strapped to your back, right?

Try to breath out very slowly (as in hardly at all) instead of holding your breath. When you just hold your breath you're kind of on that balancing point where inadvertently breathing in is easily done. If you make a conscious effort to breath out (albeit extremely slowly), it's hard to take in any water by accident.

[Five years as a full-time lifeguard.]

That's coming up from depths far deeper than any average free swimmer is going to do.

I've been swimming since I was like 3, tens of millions of people swim and go underwater every year while holding their breath.

Thankfully, I live in a desert so this particular unbecoming death should evade me ( unless the pool has other ideas ).

That's coming up from depths far deeper than any average free swimmer is going to do.

I've been swimming since I was like 3, tens of millions of people swim and go underwater every year while holding their breath.

The danger is actually in taking a breath at depth and then holding it as you ascend. Full lung at pressure expands beyond its limits as the outside pressure decreases, and it can happen in as little as 10-15 feet of water. If you take in a breath at the surface, you're fine holding your breath because the lung will be compressed as you descend, and return to it's normal size when you ascend. You add one atmosphere of pressure for every 33 feet you descend.

If you hold your breath while you ascend, the air in your lungs expands and causes an embolism. Not good.

Only a concern if you are scuba diving. Doesn't sound like that is what tompetty is talking about. Taking a breath at depth without scuba could be called drowning :eek:

TP you can try letting a little air out through your nose if the problem is water entering your nose. Just enough to maintain a positive pressure...if you blow out through your nose you won't be able to stay under very long as the breath reflex will come faster.

This is crazy. I tried to think of a way to explain how to hold your breath and I can't. As far as I know I just do it. :shrug:

As long as you aren't ascending, you can hold your breath.
Never ascend faster than the SMALLEST bubbles is a good general rule of thumb.

We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

youre in good company.

watch the beginning of The Planet of the Apes
after they crash land in the little lake,
charlton heston, the dude that literally parted the red sea
is seen holding his nose as he jumps off the
spaceship into the water.

I wouldnt worry about it.

Reactions: Tig
It's kinda like trying to explain how to blink.
I have a buddy at work...His name is Yvon and he's been blind since birth....

He is so cool about it and as funny as fuck,(in a blind way)..

He works with bombs,if you can believe that...

I've tried and tried to explain to him what the color red looks like...

No way,and he's ok with it.......I'm a better person for not only knowing him,but knowing of him......

Though I wish sometimes that he would shut the fuck up....Hey.............

Back