Have you guys heard about the SuperMarket fued up here?

Coralkong

Alien
I really cannot make this up...sounds like a "Made for TV" cheesy movie, but I assure you it is very real.

We have a chain of supermarkets up here called Market Basket (I think they have 20 stores in New Hampshire and a bunch in Mass).
It's good, cheap and my wife likes to shop there.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, there was a family feud with 2 of the owners, who are cousins. Both own an interest in the company.

Evil Arthur S gained a majority and booted the nice Arthur T, sending him and the top management packing.

Wait, it gets better!

The employees, from top to bottom have refused to work.

The truck drivers refuse to deliver the food to the stores. The store employees refuse to stock the shelves. The cashiers refuse to ring people. And the customers refuse to go to the stores!

This is all over the news up here, with rallies being staged until the GOOD Arthur gets reinstated, and the EVIL Arthur gets the boot.

I heard that one store lost 1.1 MILLION dollars last week.

It gets even better than this, though....

What this has done is causing local food shortages.

The other supermarkets in the area are having to take up the slack, and can't keep food in stock, since they are WAY over what they normally inventory in a week. Shelves are bare, perishables are flying off the shelves.

It's comical to a certain extent, and totally true. The local Hannaford market was out of milk and hamburger last weekend, because everyone shopped there and not the Market Basket.

People are risking their careers, jobs, pensions to stage this protest.

Meanwhile, the EVIL Arthur is getting ready to go out of business!!!! The GOOD Arthur has offered to buy out the EVIL Arthur and get everything back up and running. Meanwhile, the EVIL Arthur is seriously going to get tarred-and-feathered if he doesn't get out of Dodge.

It's like the Tax/Stamp/Etc....Acts of Colonial America up here. There are going to be armed revolts if this shit doesn't stop soon and the GOOD Arthur gets reinstated.

Can't make this kind of shit up.

Check it out:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...rket-basket/dDBOJigFgrmrNhsDcwJ94M/story.html

Last edited:
What makes Evil Arthur so evil? :embarrassed:
Evil Arthur doesn't like the fact that Good Arthur was paying his employees fairly and giving them good benefits. Evil Arthur would rather run a sweat shop and profit from it. The customers and employees aren't taking it and are taking their business elsewhere.

That'll show those customers who aren't going there anymore!
Yes, I'm the sure customers are well Aware of the inner workings of their grocery store.

The more likely explanation is the guy who feels slighted is waging a pr complain against the owner. Im sure there is some union scum hiding in the woodwork getting everyone worked up. Personally I would fire everyone and sell to a third party since or just close since the problems are almost certainly being caused by "non evil" whoever.

Yes, I'm the sure customers are well Aware of the inner workings of their grocery store.
Or you could read the OP instead of knee-jerking your political opinions onto the story. The customers are not shopping there, they've lost a ton of money, and neighboring stores are overwhelmed with the crush of fleeing customers.

Sounds like they were a multi-million dollar business before the shake-up. Why not just do business as before, instead of rocking the boat? I could see it if the business was on hard times/losing money, but that article makes it sound as if they were clocking dollars before.

Or you could read the OP instead of knee-jerking your political opinions onto the story. The customers are not shopping there, they've lost a ton of money, and neighboring stores are overwhelmed with the crush of fleeing customers.
So what? Good for the other stores. I fail to see the problem. Nor did I insert political anything I'm just telling what is more than likely happening. You really think customers know or care who owns their grocery store? The only reason they would is if someone got their panties in a bunch over something the new opener did and is bitching to the press trying to force their desired outcome. That could only be the old owner, a union, or employees. If the customers don't want to shop there so what? More business for someone else or an opportunity to open a new store.

Back