Have you eve had a car door lock break?

Denverdave

Resident Ragamuffin
My key is not working well in the drivers side door lock. I can usually get it to go in after 15 or 20 attempts. Sometimes it works on the first try. No problems with the passenger side door, ignition, or rear hatch - those all work fine. All my years of owning a car and I have never had this problem.

Is this a locksmith problem or does the dealer have to do it. Not a microchiped key BTW.

Our honda is the same way, except that now the key won't even go all the way in and is unusable. I just leave it unlocked or use the passenger side lock. Must be a honda thing. A little WD40 worked for a while, but it's toast now.

I have a bottle of lock ease that seems to help sticky locks but sooner or later, they usually need to be replaced. You can have a locksmith replace it but make sure they are familiar/experienced with removing and replacing door cards. You might be better off with a trusty independent mechanic.

yea....i agree about prolly needing it to be replaced. sounds like tumblers are sticking/jamming, so the key is not engaging them all and not unlocking.
could be from wear, or environmental crap has gotten into the lock mechanism. you could try to "flush" the lock out with a couple good long hosings of wd40 (use the straw).

I have a bottle of lock ease that seems to help sticky locks but sooner or later, they usually need to be replaced. You can have a locksmith replace it but make sure they are familiar/experienced with removing and replacing door cards. You might be better off with a trusty independent mechanic.
I do that with my 1965 truck. Actually need to do it right now....

2002 Honda CRV. I was thinking of getting a new key cut to see if that helped.
It's not really the key's fault, I think...more likely the cylinder is just really worn...the spring loaded door you push in with the key has stiffened, and the tumblers may have become misshapen over the years...it may be possible to get a cylinder kit from Honda and build ( or have one built) to match the key...Ford does that, not sure about honda...or it may be necessary to replace it with a random cylinder and end up with a mismatched key...or you end up replacing every cylinder in the car to have a matching key...

I have built a good number of cylinders over the years, not hard but really annoying and tedious...check with honda and see if that can be done...

I'd start with a liberal flush with WD-40 (with the red plastic tube of course). If that clears it up, oil it every once in a while (but not too much). That has worked fine for me in the past, and all my vehicles are 25+ y/o.

The electric actuators on my truck are too weak to open the lock, and since I had always used the electric locks instead of the key, when I tried to use the key, it wouldn't turn. WD40 fixed it right up. Lots of people say to use graphite spray instead of WD40 because WD40 will let dust stock to it.

Back