Have any of your favorite restaurants been ruined by Food Network appearances?

Not that I know of. But I did once eat at Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill in NYC and it was horrible.

We've had a couple of those restaurant rescue & bar rescue things happen to establishments in the area. They were all pretty much in the toilet long before reality tv came knocking and nothing short of a grease fire was going to fix those places.

0443d65ef9656ba648626f45089de7c3.jpg

This place (in San Jose) was a lot better before Guy Fiero went there...

Vietnamese place called Golden Deli in the san gabriel valley was always my favorite until it got wayyy too popular (Jonathan Gold probably did more for that than food network, but food network certainly didn't help. the food didn't go downhill, it was just a hassle with the lines, etc

Well it was never a favorite in fact I never even tried it until after the hype but then I sdaid "meh" it's just hype because you can hit up any shady looking van in a parking lot with a lean to tarp and a picnic table or a cart in the parking lot of a used tire shop or a roach coach and get as good or better hot dog with no hype and no lines.

Ruined? nah. Guy did a piece on our local diner (you want a cheeseburger and pho? no problem)

P1020496-1.JPG

But the only thing ruined was the view

images-2.jpg

Good or abd, no one gets on Food Network through word of mouth. Restaurants get on the Food Network because they hire a publicist that starts calling all the cable show producers (and magazines and websites and anywhere else their restaurant can be called a "jewel"). Shows need content for episodes, they'll go anywhere.

Restaurant Impossible went to a restaurant in town once. I'd only eaten there a couple times. It was always mostly empty. The obnoxious host made a bunch of changes. Business picked up. I went more often. They slowly undid everything the show had done and went out of business within a couple years.

Back