Had a go on a Yamaha THR10 yesterday

_tom_

Baimunized
To sum it up, my search for a good low volume practice amp continues :embarrassed: I had a lot of high expectations going by all the positive stuff I've read online about them and was really disappointed. The main thing was that it still needed to be way louder than I'd be happy playing at home without disturbing the Mrs if I wanted it to sound any kind of punchy or full. The other main problem for me was that the amp models lacked any sort of character and just sounded like generic approximations. 3 of the models sounded near enough the same to my ears (clean, crunch and lead) and the only one I was really into was the brit Hi gain, though kinda expected that given my real amp is a British voiced high gainer :grin: it did sound and feel better than any modeler ive tried before though. Notes sustained nicely like a real amp rather than fizzing out and it was somewhat responsive and realistic feeling.

All in all I'd say definitely try before you buy. I was going to get one blind based on everything I'd read and heard on the Internet, but glad I didn't waste my money! I wish I'd have given the X model a go though as it might be mor suited to my tastes.

I have one that true fire sent me. I only use the clean sound for practicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think I'm probably just going to get a Blackstar Fly 3 to be honest. They're from the same county as me so should be easy enough to find one haha. I like the Blackstar sound in general and the clips of it haven't sounded too bad. Plus it's only £80 for the stereo cab "mini stack" version.

A buddy of mine has a Blackstar ID core something or other. It sounds great! He has even hugged with it. It's a little small for that purpose but it can be done.

I still think my old (ca 2000) Tech 21 Trademark 10 amp is the finest low-volume practice amp I've ever used, and I've used a bunch. That said, my Blackstar HT1 is a decent beastie, too -- although it doesn't really do clean.

I had a THR10c for a bit. The tones themselves were pretty nice, and the hall reverb was amazing, but in the end it still sounded like the sound was coming from a stereo transistor pocket radio. I really wish Yamaha would make a larger version - perhaps a bit more wattage and with bigger speakers.

The Blackstar ID Cores (40s and below) to me sound a bit blankety, yet at the prices and higher volumes, would be the way I would go if'n I were in that particular market.

Back