Gymkhana 7: Wild in the Streets of Los Angles

I guess I am supposed to be impressed and stuff, but I'm not.

Looks like "Big Motor, Little Dick" syndrome to me.

Sorry. Putting a '65 Mustang body on a chassis with AWD, a carved out shell and a race driver who drifts it all around town in pre-determined lines and patterns screams of 16 year old adolescent dreams that are only fit for people who have never seen a lethal car accident before.

It's pretty impressive driving imo.

Not really something I want to watch a lot of, but impressive nonetheless.

I was hoping this was about the classic movie:

Gymkataposter.jpg

I guess I am supposed to be impressed and stuff, but I'm not.

Looks like "Big Motor, Little Dick" syndrome to me.

Sorry. Putting a '65 Mustang body on a chassis with AWD, a carved out shell and a race driver who drifts it all around town in pre-determined lines and patterns screams of 16 year old adolescent dreams that are only fit for people who have never seen a lethal car accident before.

He's a hell of a driver, but I do think this one is kind of boring.
There's a lot of just driving down the road. In a straight line, but let's fishtail all the way to make it look interesting.

The evidence of practice runs and the police blocking the roads takes a lot away from the excitement of this. I absolutely understand that practice is necessary and blocking off the roads to create the "track" is required, but still, there is less "OMG! This is happening!" about it. (never mind that there were enough cameras in place to capture it all. You don't see that stuff so it doesn't count. :P )

Also, underlying the whole thing is the fact that you know that it's all going to be perfect. I expect the outtakes that will soon come will be more interesting.

So, how do they make episode 8 more exciting? I don't know. As much as I loved the first few episodes, I'm kinda over it. Maybe better locations with amazing scenery would be cool.

The evidence of practice runs and the police blocking the roads takes a lot away from the excitement of this.

Also, underlying the whole thing is the fact that you know that it's all going to be perfect.

My POV, the precision & level of execution in car control he can achieve is the interesting and often astounding part, rehearsed or not. But if that doesn't interest, I can see how it's a snooze. Kinda like an automotive yngwie malmsteen

My POV, the precision & level of execution in car control he can achieve is the interesting and often astounding part, rehearsed or not. But if that doesn't interest, I can see how it's a snooze. Kinda like an automotive yngwie malmsteen

For sure. It is astounding what he can do with a vehicle.

The Malmsteen point is accurate in the context of what I was trying to say. Bang on, in fact.

However, after watching the video again, I wonder if the editing is the problem that I am having with it all.
I'm no videography cork sniffer - I don't know the first thing about it, really - but the point I made before about straight roads requiring some fishtails could have just been edited out. There were few other parts that, if I didn't know were very short, I would have been reaching for the fast forward button.

All that said, I'd need a few boxes of new underwear to get through a ride with Ken Block.

Really impressive driving skills. I think this one is my favorite of these Ken Block videos. The earlier videos are better than the more recent efforts.

Back