Help! Guys with dual humbucker guitars,halp a bit.

I have done guitars with both. I agree that the extra two pots make a big difference dialing in tonez, I like the simplicity of the one volume one tone, add a coil split and it's perfect.

As Les Paul's are my main guitars, I prefer the 2 vol / 2 tone thing. If, however, you only had 3 knobs (like on an Explorer), I'd go 2 volumes and the tone for the bridge only. If there were only 2 knobs, for me it would be master volume and tone for bridge only.

I generally find the fewer knobs (on guitars or amps) the better. Right now, out of my six electrics, only one (LP junior special P90) has more than three knobs. I have a Melody Maker with one knob, and that seems just about right to me!

Tonally there is a slight difference in the middle position with 1 vol/tone versus 2 vol/tone. With out the load of a second volume pot I find the 1v/t lay out to be slightly brighter and chimier in the middle.

Otherwise, it's really just preference. I have customers who strongly prefer one or the other.

Honestly, I am fine with just a volume knob. I don't remember the last time I even touched the tone knob. So 4 is overboard for me.

I set up my LP's in the mid position using all 4 knobs.
I hit the switch and adjust accordingly for top and bottom positions.

The tone knob on a Tele does magical things btw.

On a two knob guitar I'll actually pick in different places to effect tone, up by the neck or down by the treble pickup can have a large effect. My dual bucker Carvin has a 5 position switch for coil tapping and my Ibanez Artist has Les Paul type four knob wiring. So I have multiple options.

I am a Gibson LP lover.The guitar just feels and sounds right to me.
Now if you have a dual 'bucker guitar with a single volume and tone knob how do ya shape the tone?
The middle position on a LP is my favorite position.It gives you so many great sounds.Just tweak the knobs a bit and it sounds like a different guitar.
The single vol,tone knob thing just seems like it is limiting the guitar.
I reserve the right to be wrong,but ...
I prefer a single volume/single tone model, because I'm a Tele player, so that set-up in "home", thus my Epi SG Special knock-off is exactly right for me.

Shape the tone by moving the tone knob, the p/u selector, and by where I pick (nearer the fingerboard or nearer the bridge.

c3c84139-4b13-44b6-bfd9-1b143ad72154

Also, by having sharply contrasting (tonally) pickups. The neck p/u, being covered, has a fatter, darker tone, great for jazz and blues, while the bridge p/u, being somewhat overwound and cover-free, has a lot of brightness and "grit", and both, together, gives me other options, depending on where the tone knob is atm.

Reactions: DFB
I like that pic! That thing is nasty.
Nasty? LOL...It has it's moments... :love:

Been a fun instrument to "soup up" a bit and a joy to play...nowdays, I've been working out which songs are "Tele" songs, and which ones are "SG-oid" songs, to get the most out of each. Totally_jammin_out

I used a LP for years. I had to have the tone controls all the way up pretty much all the time unless I was doing some jazz type stuff. Otherwise it just sounded dull to my ears. Same thing with the volume controls, unless I split them (one all the way off and the other one full up). I would back down the volume controls sometimes but that would act more like a tone control, it really sounded anemic when I decreased the volume on the guitar much.

My PRS CE24 has one vol/one tone and the volume control really does act like a volume control, there's some tone change of course but it's much more usable than the controls on my LP. It has a treble bleed capacitor in there so that makes a diff I'm sure (don't think the LP has one in there).

Just my 2 cents

On my Lp's I roll off the tone to about 8 on a heavily distorted amp.
I do keep the treble kind of high,and then bring the tone knob to full for leads.

Back