Guild GAD50e, good price? Good guitar?

MonkeyZero

Mexican Mayonnaise Weiner Sandwich
Found this locally. Should I jump on this? Been looking for an acoustic/electric
7e73b42f865625086d8865a8c613a48a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There's one is worse condition on reverb for $900.
That's why I'm considering getting it and flipping it worst case scenario.

Guild, like Martin, have begun making a cheaper line of guitars; some are good, some not so good. As you say, I am sure you could flip it if it isn't for you.

Guild, like Martin, have begun making a cheaper line of guitars; some are good, some not so good. As you say, I am sure you could flip it if it isn't for you.
I'm going to play it tomorrow morning. I've had my eye on a Taylor lately but this price seems too good to pass up especially if I can turn it over for a hundred or two.
My hope is that it's amazing and I keep it but we'll see. Seems like a can't lose situation.

I'm going to play it tomorrow morning. I've had my eye on a Taylor lately but this price seems too good to pass up especially if I can turn it over for a hundred or two.
My hope is that it's amazing and I keep it but we'll see. Seems like a can't lose situation.

In the 60s, I really wanted a Martin, Guild, or Gibson guitar; those were the instruments of my dreams. I have played some nice, newer Guilds.

In the 60s, I really wanted a Martin, Guild, or Gibson guitar; those were the instruments of my dreams. I have played some nice, newer Guilds.
Your input above all others here is important to me Gary since we are both cowboy chord players and acoustic lovers. I appreciate it.
I do, from time to time, delve past the fifth fret. But not often.
I know the scales and chords up there but always seem to fall back on my roots.

Honestly, it’s not a $900 guitar just because someone listed on on Reverb for that amount.

It’s a $500 guitar on a good day. Go look at the eBay completed listings and they aren’t moving around the 500 dollar mark. I’d say check reverb but I don’t see any sales history for this model. $400 is probably a fair price for someone who wants to move it.

Being the repair person that I am, I look at things that need repair. If the neck angle and frets are perfect, the action and setup are good, then its a good deal. If not, know the price to fix and negotiate.

Also, be aware that resets on Guilds are slightly problematic - they finish the guitars after the necks have been installed so any reset will damage finish and require repair.

Honestly, it’s not a $900 guitar just because someone listed on on Reverb for that amount.

It’s a $500 guitar on a good day. Go look at the eBay completed listings and they aren’t moving around the 500 dollar mark. I’d say check reverb but I don’t see any sales history for this model. $400 is probably a fair price for someone who wants to move it.
As always, something is only worth what someone will pay for it. It's weird that they came out a few years ago at $1300 and now go for that low. That kind of depreciation is rare I would think.
In the end, if it plays well, I'll scoop it up. If not, there are plenty of others to be had.

As always, something is only worth what someone will pay for it. It's weird that they came out a few years ago at $1300 and now go for that low. That kind of depreciation is rare I would think.
In the end, if it plays well, I'll scoop it up. If not, there are plenty of others to be had.

I would for $400 if it played well and sounded nice.

Exactly

I would love something similar made by Tacoma, now defunct after Fender killed them. But they are getting pricey now. You can find the Korean made Olympia versions for not much, but I would like one made in Tacoma. Some of the Guilds were made in Tacoma for a couple years a few years ago. And were reported to be good.

Here is that Olympia. It says Tacoma on it too, so it is tempting for the price. Just for a campfire guitar.
https://reverb.com/item/3588830-tacoma-olympia-oj-6-nat-natual

Msrp was $1300.
Street/retail price was $750

You can find legit USA D50s around a grand and change, granted they are often the corona built guilds that are generally less desirable. No one in their right mind is paying $900 for a Chinese guild that sold for $750.

Edit: at $400 if you like it and there’s nothing else locally that appeals in that price range, go for it. Just keep in mind your resale opportunity is most likely getting your money back...which isn’t a bad deal, all told.

Last edited:
I passed on the Guild. Played it and hated it.
Found a Taylor 314ce that is basically brand new but considered used for $950!
Probably going to pick it up in the morning. It plays and sounds fantastic.

I passed on the Guild. Played it and hated it.
Found a Taylor 314ce that is basically brand new but considered used for $950!
Probably going to pick it up in the morning. It plays and sounds fantastic.

Yep; find the guitar that speaks to you. That is how I ended up with the Gibson.

Enjoy!

Back