Going to buy an ISP noise gate. Which one do I need?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Either a Decimator II at $134 list, or a Decimator G-String, at $223 list

The G-String can be plugged into your effects chain, and has outputs to also be hooked up thru your amps effects loop to help with the amps pre-amp noise.

The Decimator II can do the same thing, if you chain two of them together. 1 in the effects chain and the 2nd one looped thru the effects loop.

I mainly want one to help with the hum from old wiring, which reading a bunch of reviews, the ISP's do very well.

If I just get one of the II's, will that clean up old wiring hum, or do I need it to go thru the amps effects loop to do that?

Don't know. I have a Waller amp with one built in but, don't know which one. I can say, it's pretty fricken amazing. Son was trying the amp and, I was pushing the button in and out, I herd absolutely no difference . Thought it was broke. When he stopped playing, then I could tell it was on. No idea how it does with bad wireing, can only speak for playing with tons and tons of gain.

Don't know. I have a Waller amp with one built in but, don't know which one. I can say, it's pretty fricken amazing. Son was trying the amp and, I was pushing the button in and out, I herd absolutely no difference . Thought it was broke. When he stopped playing, then I could tell it was on. No idea how it does with bad wireing, can only speak for playing with tons and tons of gain.
Yeah, I use lots of gain usually.

I've heard that the ISP's can even get rid of the string noise you get from your fingers sliding on the wound strings, without killing your tone.

Well, that's just wrong. Think of all the classic rock songs and, James Taylor and, Jim Croce songs I listen to over and, over. I'm used to hearing that at exactly 1:34 into the song.

I've never been a fan of noise gates. they only kill the noise when you aren't playing. You can just roll your volume down when you aren't playing.

I've never been a fan of noise gates. they only kill the noise when you aren't playing. You can just roll your volume down when you aren't playing.
The ISP's are supposed to be a cut above everything else. I'm going to try one, just not sure if I need the expensive one or the cheap one. Although two cheap ones will do the same thing as the expensive one.

I'm not a fan of noise gates. If you have to have one the ISP is really good but unless you're in Pantera (or rehearse in a borough of NYC) it has always seemed to be a waste of money to me.

I'm not a fan of noise gates. If you have to have one the ISP is really good but unless you're in Pantera (or rehearse in a borough of NYC) it has always seemed to be a waste of money to me.

It depends a lot on where you live and play. Where I live you’re going to get a buzz anywhere in town because any building that hasn’t been recently gutted and renovated has shit wiring.

It depends a lot on where you live and play. Where I live you’re going to get a buzz anywhere in town because any building that hasn’t been recently gutted and renovated has shit wiring.
Hence my comment about NYC. I had a similar problem with playing single coil guitars on gigs and ended up putting noiseless pickups (Kinmans) in one strat.

I have a G string....I don't know about the wiring noise but if you use a lot of gain from your amp you want to be able to run it through your fx loop. I've never used the Decimator II but if you need 2 of them to achieve what you want , you're better off just buying the g-string. I would think...

Edit: if by hum from wiring you mean 60 cycle hum then yes I believe both would take care of that but the g-string will additionally resolve high gain noise thru the fx loop too.....provided that the gain is amp generated.

The ISP's are supposed to be a cut above everything else. I'm going to try one, just not sure if I need the expensive one or the cheap one. Although two cheap ones will do the same thing as the expensive one.
Two cheap ones cost more than 1 expensive one...
2x$134= $268
Or 1x$226

Last edited:
Why do you need a noise gate? Are your effects noisy? Are your cables crappy and noisy? Is your amp noisy?

Personally I would fix these problems first. Adding a noise gate will only hide the real issue.

Why do you need a noise gate? Are your effects noisy? Are your cables crappy and noisy? Is your amp noisy?

Personally I would fix these problems first. Adding a noise gate will only hide the real issue.

not necessarily going to fix the issue. I use one. my rig is silent at home and at our jam spot but there are some shitty venues we play with really dirty power. sometimes it is beyond your control and its good to be prepared.

they also do a great job on the hum from singe coil pickups which I don't think any of your mentioned solutions would address.

not necessarily going to fix the issue. I use one. my rig is silent at home and at our jam spot but there are some shitty venues we play with really dirty power. sometimes it is beyond your control and its good to be prepared.

they also do a great job on the hum from singe coil pickups which I don't think any of your mentioned solutions would address.

The EXH Hum Debugger is better for single coil hum. It isn't a gate, it runs your signal through a process to remove the hum. If you are running into dirty power, wouldn't a good power conditioner do a better job?

Been there as well. That is why I shield all of my guitars and use quality cables.

Sorry for the dumb question that I am going to ask.....

Are your guitars shielded in the control cavity and the pickup cavity? While shielding may not eliminate all of the noise, it can help to eliminate a majority of the noise. Yes I do own strats and yes all of mine are shielded. I have also replaced the jacks on my guitars as they too tend to wear and when broken down, may cause some noise issues.

Shielding can come by from either using copper tape or shielding paint. You can get shielding paint from StewMac

Back