Give me something to watch on Netflix

Season 4 of Borgen has been pretty meh. Somehow, the writers have managed to remove 99% of what made the first 3 seasons interesting.

Watched Gray Man last night--totally stupid but really a lot of fun.

Yeah... my wife and I were talking about how basic the plot was, without a lot of surprises.... but with one exception, I felt like the action pieces were extremely well done and looks practical, not like a Fast-n-Furious video game.

The cast is great and it's their performances are what elevate the material. Billy Bob Thornton, Ana DeArmas, Ryan Gosling, and Rege' Jean Paul (from Bridgerton).

But IMO, it's Chris Evans playing a wickedly funny villain with a 70's trash stash that steals the show.

SPOILER ALERT... You could watch the first 1/3rd or so of this to get a feel for the villain, but watching this entire clip BEFORE seeing the movie will ruin all of the best surprises (the plot doesn't have any surprises, it's only the interaction between the characters that keeps the momentum going).

We started watching Netflix's "Uncoupled"

Maybe I'm missing something but this just seems to be one big string of gay stereotypes and tropes with a low rent version of Queen Latifah thrown in for good measure.

We started watching Netflix's "Uncoupled"

Maybe I'm missing something but this just seems to be one big string of gay stereotypes and tropes with a low rent version of Queen Latifah thrown in for good measure.
Yeah, I'm all for inclusion and all, but I'll be darned if I noticed a single straight male character in all of those first four episodes. Sort of hampers my sense of realism.

I could understand if it's just his friends, but even side characters and chance acquaintances.?

Thirteen lives on Prime is a great telling of the Thai football team cave rescue. We all remember the story but to see how they saved those boys in unbelievable.

Diving into the Resident Evil series on Netflix to clear my mind. We'll see. I love the games but the movies have been sub-par at best.

Just finished the last episode of Sandman: I'll give the series a 7.5-8. I think most of the casting was well-done and the CGI is done exceptionally well, except for a couple of moment. There are a few small tweaks and story modernizations (it is a 30 year old series at this point...) but it didn't deviate too far from the source material.

Have any of you watched the show Strange Angel?

"
Strange Angel follows "Jack Parsons, a brilliant and ambitious blue-collar worker of 1930s Los Angeles who started as a janitor at a chemical factory but had fantastical dreams that led him to birth the unknown discipline of American rocketry. Along the way, he fell into a mysterious world that included sex magic rituals at night, and he became a disciple of occultist Aleister Crowley. Parsons used Crowley's teachings of self-actualization to support his unimaginable and unprecedented endeavor to the stars."[3]"

I enjoyed it, but I really don't know who proposed and funded a show about rocketry, Aleister Crowley, occultism, and free love. I'm puzzled at how successful they expected it to be.

Last edited:
I watched the first two episodes of Sandman. It felt sedate to me, like they were trying to capture the mood of the books a little too hard. But maybe doing something different is a good thing in the intense world of post-GoT TV drama. Some of the CGI looks like it’s about twenty years old—the scenic shots especially, such as the gates of The Dreaming—but there’s a lot going on that blends right in. I’ll give it another episode or two before I decide if I’d rather just read a book.

Last edited:
I watched the first two episodes of Sandman. It felt sedate to me, like they were trying to capture the mood of the books a little too hard. But maybe doing something different is a good thing in the intense world of post-GoT TV drama. Some of the CGI looks like it’s about twenty years old—the scenic shots especially, such as the gates of The Dreaming—but there’s a lot going on that blends right in. I’ll give it another episode or two before I decide if I’d rather just read a book.

I feel they should have stuck with the late Thatcher-era setting.

Have any of you watched the show Strange Angel?

"
Strange Angel follows "Jack Parsons, a brilliant and ambitious blue-collar worker of 1930s Los Angeles who started as a janitor at a chemical factory but had fantastical dreams that led him to birth the unknown discipline of American rocketry. Along the way, he fell into a mysterious world that included sex magic rituals at night, and he became a disciple of occultist Aleister Crowley. Parsons used Crowley's teachings of self-actualization to support his unimaginable and unprecedented endeavor to the stars."[3]"

I enjoyed it, but I really don't know who proposed nd funded a show about rocketry, Aleidert Crowley, occultism, and free love. I'm puzzled at how sucessful they expected it to be.

I'll have to check that out - Parsons wasn't quite the favorite son that Feynman was in grad school, but he might have been a close second (that book about him came out while I was there), and we made more than a few trips out to the desert to putter around in his and George Van Tassel's (another fun Mojave weirdo) footsteps

I feel they should have stuck with the late Thatcher-era setting.

It would be interesting to see how it worked with contemporary audiences. One one hand, they might see it as an affectation and be put off by it. On the other hand, it might go over well the same way most fantasy on TV and film has British accents despite most of the actors not being Brits.

The Mrs and I enjoyed Night Sky on Prime. A little slow at times but interesting and different. JK Simmons and Sissy Spacek are wonderful in it.

I'll have to check that out - Parsons wasn't quite the favorite son that Feynman was in grad school, but he might have been a close second (that book about him came out while I was there), and we made more than a few trips out to the desert to putter around in his and George Van Tassel's (another fun Mojave weirdo) footsteps

That's pretty damn cool! I think you'd really like the show. I'm surprised they even got two seasons out of it, because it seems like a niche idea that was never going to grab the public ('Rockets and Crowley!'). I thought it was super fascinating though, and also beautiful to look at.

I wonder has anyone ever done a deliberate 'Jack Parsons and Gram Parsons' Mojave trip?

Back