Gigging guitarists... settle a debate for me please

Geez. We usually do 60-75 min sets, but they're usually at least 18-20 songs. We're not so much a dance band, more of a "what will they play next" band, so we hit it and quit it, then get on with it.

Another vote for 12 minimum, 15 to be sure. 4 minute songs can rapidly become 3 to 3.5 minute songs due to nervous energy, particularly on a band's first gig and what fitted perfectly at practice runs short at a gig.

Ideally there should be no dead time. As I'm the vocalist and guitarist in a 3 piece, if I have to change guitar there is inevitably some if I have to change guitar but 2 minutes is no no.

Reactions: OGG
Ween and the dead are the only 2 bands who can pull off long breaks between songs.

A simple cover band would look ridiculous if they took 2 minutes between songs. Your friend is way out of touch.

I sometimes will tell a story about how a song was written, but I don't know that I have ever talked two minutes between songs, let alone between every song. messedup0

12-14 tunes. You can always remove a tune. If a tune doesn't work well on the crowd, make it shorter and go to another.

Also follow rule #1, no dead air! Something should always be happening whether a conversation with the audience or a vamp or both. If the crowd is cheering vigorously, take those 5-10 seconds and enjoy it then time to hit them with another tune. If you are cover band, start the next song. Keep your crowd busy.

The more I think about it, I don't think your bassist knows how long 2 minutes is and he is just throwing out a number. At your next practice, you should play a song and when it ends, start a timer for 2 minutes so he can see how long that really is. If he still thinks 2 minutes is good, kick him in the taint.

12? Try 15, just in case something goes really well and your set is extended or something goes pear-shaped with another song.

Reactions: OGG
2 minutes between each song? Uh no! You knock 'em out one after another, with no more than maybe 20 seconds (30 seconds in extreme cases) between songs. It's one of the reasons why I always have backup guitars - why make the audience wait while you dink around with changing broken strings?

Last edited:
Depends on the venue

I've played piano bars where the owner wants you to let a minute or two slide between songs...why? So people can talk and choose partners for sex. Same with an opening jazz ez listening set at a wedding reception...why? These people haven't seen each other in a while being from out of town ya know...they want to catch up.

OTOH if you are a rock star by all means keep the energy up and fuck the rest of the world. and telecasters

12? Try 15, just in case something goes really well and your set is extended or something goes pear-shaped with another song.

VERY true. I had gigs where my bands had to throw on extra songs at the end of the set, because the audience wanted more. Even better yet? Try to aim for 1 hour long sets if you can. Oh yeah, and don't go nuts with the long extended jams. I find them as boring as many of the people in the audience do. Nothing wrong with 4, 5, 6 or even 7 minute songs (once in a while), but 12-plus minute jams? Yawn!

Ya'll take two minutes between tunes and you you won't be a gigging band.
I like to stack the tunes 2 fast,1 Slow. Bring them up,and take them down.
We usually play 12 tunes a set,but have 14 or 15 in the chamber if it looks like one coming up isnt going to work.Makes it easy to skip and keep going

Ya'll take two minutes between tunes and you you won't be a gigging band.
I like to stack the tunes 2 fast,1 Slow. Bring them up,and take them down.
We usually play 12 tunes a set,but have 14 or 15 in the chamber if it looks like one coming up isnt going to work.Makes it easy to skip and keep going
Nothing like being prepared. It helps you play better, imo, knowing there are less variables.

Five songs, long drum solos.

Seriously, two minutes between songs is an eternity. Anything longer than 20-30 seconds is too long.

Back