Gibson Les Paul Steampunk’d by Franco Design Studio

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://rebel-guitars.com/gibson-les-paul-steampunkd-by-franco-design-studio/

Franco-LP-1.jpg

Franco Design Studio
Unique, custom, musical works of art. Merging Steampunk and Victorian influences with iconic electric guitar designs. Franco uses USA Gibson guitars as their canvas along with vintage items such as reclaimed materials such as copper, aluminum, and leather. Items from vintage clocks, engines, medical equipment are all used in making the instruments as unique as the players lucky enough to own them. All guitars with Franco’s artwork are totally playable and sound amazing.

Gibson Les Paul Special
The Gibson Les Paul Special is great deal on a unique guitar. The body is all-mahogany with a set, single-piece mahogany neck. Playability is perfect as you’d expect with its ’60s slim taper neck profile, Rosewood fingerboard and traditional 24-3/4″ scale length. What sets this one apart from the rest is its pickup combination of a 490R neck and 491T bridge pickups combined with a wraparound bridge. The 491T humbucker is noteworthy as it’s crafted in the image of Gibson’s acclaimed PAF (“Patent Applied For”) humbucker of the late ’50s, but updated with a ceramic magnet for great power, clarity and sustain.

franco-gibson-les-paul-back.jpg

Time Machine
This guitar Franco name Time Machine. Some of the items and features include; real natural Blue Paua Abalone veneer, a beautiful engraved reclaimed metal plate from the 50’s, vintage antique Ansonia clock Gears from 1910, as well as other unique vintage items.
Have a guitar you want to trade in? Tell us about it here; Trade-Ins

franco-gibson-les-paul-guitar.jpg

• Model: Les Paul Special
  • Construction: Setneck
  • Body: Mahogany
  • Neck: Maple
  • Fretboard: Rosewood
  • Inlays: Pearl Dots
  • Radius: 12″
  • Scale: 24.75″
  • Frets: 24 Medium Jumbo
  • Nut: Corian
  • Tuners: Kluson
  • Bridge: Vintage Wraparound
  • Pickups: Gibson 490R & 491T
  • Controls: Volume, Volume, Tone, 3-Way
  • Case: Hardshell
Have a guitar you want to trade in? Tell us about it here; Trade-Ins
List $4995.00
Your Price $4495.00 + Shipping

That is an awful lot of stuff stuck on a 600 dollar guitar. I guess the value depends on if you like the art involved in the selection and placing of the stuff. I don't care for the look.

I like some steampunk but when they just throw useless stuff on it to make it look steampunk, I find it to be silly.

I find the concept of steampunk interesting and even cool within the context of books, graphic novels, and movies. As an aesthetic outside of that realm it screams of trying too hard. Now if someone did something crazy like added clockwork to an acoustic to make it louder or to create rhythms to play with/against, I'm super interested. For an electric, if they could generate new and interesting sounds with steampunk tech (meaning using clockwork and compressed steam...not exactly conducive to wood), that would be something that would be hard to ignore.

But fuck paying $5K for a tricked out LP Special.

Back