GAS cured (well, sorta)

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I've always had GAS for one of those maple fretboard Rickenbackers from a few years back. The Colorado, Dakota, etc.

I was at Elderly Instruments today, and they had a used Rickenbacker 650C in clown burst:
http://www.elderly.com/instruments/...c-guitars/rickenbacker-650c-colorado-2013.htm

The guitar itself is in immaculate condition and it plays flawlessly with pretty low action. Maybe just an oh-so slight amount of buzz on the low-E string, which is very normal for an electric guitar, and certainly acceptable to my preferences. Just a really nice guitar, fwiw.

But that fretboard is freakin' wide!!! 1.75" at the nut, and it only gets wider as you go up the neck. Way too wide for my taste, GAS cured :tongue:

The bridge was kinda neat...you can adjust the saddles of each string side to side, to modify the string spacing to your liking. They had it adjusted so the low-E was fairly close to the edge, though not where it would slide off while doing string vibrato, and the high-E way away from the fretboard edge.

That's odd. Most people bitch that Ric's necks are too skinny. Maybe that model has a wider neck. My 620s felt great and my hands are tiny.

Ricks are guitars I always want to love, but I just never could adjust to the neck shape/taper.

That's odd. Most people bitch that Ric's necks are too skinny. Maybe that model has a wider neck. My 620s felt great and my hands are tiny.
Yeah, these have a wide neck. Most electrics are roughly 1.68" or so wide. These are 1.75", and I'm used to my old '80s Carvin necks which are 1.65" wide. Other than that I loved it, played really nicely. Straight neck, flawless fret work, I didn't see a ding on it, other than maybe a pick scratch or two.

Yeah, these have a wide neck. Most electrics are roughly 1.68" or so wide. These are 1.75", and I'm used to my old '80s Carvin necks which are 1.65" wide. Other than that I loved it, played really nicely. Straight neck, flawless fret work, I didn't see a ding on it, other than maybe a pick scratch or two.

I'll fan the fires of your gas, try a 620 out. :grin:

Back