GAH!!! I have click-track-paralasis!!!

baimun

Funkasaurus Rex
I hate the electronic click-y tone of metronomes and click tracks. :gah:

We were recording some songs last night, and I don't mind clicks for coming in on a part, but I swear to Jimi that leaving the click track running while I was playing kept killing my groove.

Since my Taylor was running direct, I had the producer play a cajon (he was listening to the click) and I grooved along with him. Such a huge difference.... not drilling into my brain with that annoying woodpecker tone.

I think I'm going to record some others with a drum machine instead... that way they're a pre-programmed tempo, but while I'm recording, there will be something more natural and easy-on-the-ears than a damned click track.

:helper:

Yeah, I hate metronome clicks. If I've got a computer nearby, I'll load up a midi track in reaper and set it to play high hats or something :thu:

It could alternate between a harmonica blow and a bag pipe wheeze... but it has to be designed to always be a little out of tune from what you're playing. :helper:

It could alternate between a harmonica blow and a bag pipe wheeze... but it has to be designed to always be a little out of tune from what you're playing. :helper:
well, thats not realistic since another instrument that I'd be playing with should be in tune. But since I've been teaching guitar for 25 years I've gotten used to ignoring peoples relative "in-tuneness"

It baffles me how many people can not hear when their guitar is out of tune. They just go through the motions without listening to what they're playing. It makes me shut off about half of all of the youtube videos (demos of amps, even tutorials :messedup: ) but the worst offenders are people in music stores. They just pick up an instrument from the rack and start playing without any worries about if it's in tune or not. :facepalm:

It baffles me how many people can not hear when their guitar is out of tune. They just go through the motions without listening to what they're playing. It makes me shut off about half of all of the youtube videos (demos of amps, even tutorials :messedup: ) but the worst offenders are people in music stores. They just pick up an instrument from the rack and start playing without any worries about if it's in tune or not. :facepalm:
I'm guilty of this -- although if I know I'll be guitar shopping I'll bring a snark. When I try out a guitar I care more about the neck and the general sound.

That said, I have a rule that if within 5-min I'm not running for the register, I'm not buying the guitar.

I always just do scratch tracks to a click. Then I do drums, then bass, then keyboards if there are any, then do keeper guitar tracks. Then vocals, then lead guitar.

It's just a matter of practice. I'd say the majority of the problem is usually a musician not being used to playing with a click.

A trick I do is set the click to play in eights. Gives you more information to get it right imo.
Especially with drums, as the click tends to disappear when you're right on the beat.

That said, if I'm recording with my bands, I prefer not to use a click, but rather record all rhythm tracks at once.
You get some bleed, but it's worth it imo. You get a certain energy from a take like that that you just won't otherwise.
I'd rather sacrifice being 100% on tempo all tune and getting some bleed (something that can be dealt with with good placement of instruments/amps)

The click is irritating and unnatural. We usually program a simple MIDI drum track and play along with that, particularly in recent songs where there seems to be a lot of dropped beats, occasional long pauses, etc.--it's easier to have a drum track start after 7 beats than it is to play along with a 4/4 metronome that goes from CLICK-click-click-click to click-click-CLICK-click. We often just have one guy with the click in the headphones, and we let him lead the way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Playing to a drum machine track is way more natural feeling.

When my buddies were in Drum Corps, they records a dude going "dack, dack, dack dack, dack dack..." and then sped and slowed it ...

Eventually chaos ensued and someone got hold of the cassette and dubbed over all kind of stuff. "Quack Quack Quack Quack . . "

Then there was the girl going "Ohhh, Ohhh, Ohhh, Ohhh, Ohhh, Ohhh (try finding the groove with THAT going on in your head..."

Back