Formula 1 2024

Sensible business decision but it's hard to imagine Carlos being satisfied with not competing for podiums in the Stake car.
There's a bunch of interesting possibilities for the '25 season shaping up, especially with the second red bull seat potentially in the mix.
Red Bull is another possibility, since he was the last person to actually beat Max when they were paired up at Torro Rosso.

I think Carlos is one of the most underrated drivers on the grid. He's consistent, quick, and a very smart strategic driver. He always raises up the team wherever he goes.

If he goes to Red Bull, there is no way he will ever win a championship there as long as Max is around, but if he goes to Sauber (it's a big gamble) he might have a chance there if Audi can get up to speed quickly, which I think they can. Remember, they dominated Le Mans for a long time, and they have just won the Dakar rally, so I think they know how to win. It will be a full works team in 2026, and with the rules shake-up it's a lottery as to who get's the design right out of the gate.

Aston Martin might be worth a look, but let's see what happens this year. They have their new factory up and running, so let's see if that investment will yield a competitive car again like what they started with last year. The only thing is, they can't seem to keep up developing the car during the season, so while they might win some races, I can't see them taking a championship any time soon, but a Sainz/Alonso lineup sure looks tasty.

Could Mercedes take him? As I said above, he is a solid driver, and he would pair well with Russell, but with Hamilton jumping ship, I wonder what their prospects are for winning another championship any time soon?

IMO Sauber/Audi is his best bet, and Carlos Sainz Sr. has indicated that they are in talks.

Red Bull is another possibility, since he was the last person to actually beat Max when they were paired up at Torro Rosso.

I think Carlos is one of the most underrated drivers on the grid. He's consistent, quick, and a very smart strategic driver. He always raises up the team wherever he goes.

If he goes to Red Bull, there is no way he will ever win a championship there as long as Max is around, but if he goes to Sauber (it's a big gamble) he might have a chance there if Audi can get up to speed quickly, which I think they can. Remember, they dominated Le Mans for a long time, and they have just won the Dakar rally, so I think they know how to win. It will be a full works team in 2026, and with the rules shake-up it's a lottery as to who get's the design right out of the gate.

Aston Martin might be worth a look, but let's see what happens this year. They have their new factory up and running, so let's see if that investment will yield a competitive car again like what they started with last year. The only thing is, they can't seem to keep up developing the car during the season, so while they might win some races, I can't see them taking a championship any time soon, but a Sainz/Alonso lineup sure looks tasty.

Could Mercedes take him? As I said above, he is a solid driver, and he would pair well with Russell, but with Hamilton jumping ship, I wonder what their prospects are for winning another championship any time soon?

IMO Sauber/Audi is his best bet, and Carlos Sainz Sr. has indicated that they are in talks.

Agreed on Carlos' capabilities. Combine that w/ his competitive desire in the top car on the grid vs team orders....hard to say if that aligns w/ red bull's strategy for a second driver.
I'd bet merc wants to wait and see how competitive they are for '24 before making a decision. If the car isn't on pace, they may want Antonelli in the car for '25. If they are capable of podiums, Carlos is a great fit on paper w/ Russel, who is still looking for consistent results. Albon has been floated as front runner but he seems like he really doesn't fit a need.

Well, Red Bull is still the team to beat, but Verstappen's poll lap was only 0.3 seconds quicker than Lecler's lap. The top 4 teams are all separated by less than 0.5 seconds.

It might be an interesting season. Hopefully Red Bull doesn't run away with it again.

Reactions: Tig
Well, that was exciting... I fell asleep during the middle and woke up for the last 10 laps. Continuation of last year.

Reactions: Tig
It doesn't look too good. Max won by 22 seconds, and he was probably coasting through most of the race. I think we know who the 2024 champions are. Ferrari are stupid to let Sainz go as he is a very good driver, especially in the race, and Hamilton is past his sell by date.

Yeah Russell's prediction that Max would be 0.5 s/lap faster was pretty close. On the flip side the possible good news is that most of the other cars were dealing with issues so maybe, just maybe the next race he'll only be 0.2 s/lap faster :howie:

Man, first Red Bull/Horner, now Mohammed Ben Sulayem is accused of interfering with a race result (Alonso at Jeddah) and now ordering his underlings to find a way not to certify the Vegas track before last year's race.

I almost miss Bernie and Max Mosley.

I think that the powers that be in F1 know the season's going to be a snooze fest on track with Red Bull winning everything again, so they are creating drama off track to keep interest in the sport.

Cliff notes:
Christian Horner was accused by a Red Bull employee of inappropriate behavior. A subsequent investigation by Red Bull had cleared him of wrongdoing. Someone then leaked some emails that allegedly prove the allegations have merit. Jos Verstappen wants Horner fired. There are rumors that if Horner doesn't leave, Max may leave Red Bull for Mercedes, and Newey may leave the team too.

That is on top of the controversy of Andretti's entry application getting rejected by FOM despite the approval from the FIA, and Hamilton moving over to Ferrari.

It's great fodder for the next season of Drive to Survive.

Cliff notes:
Christian Horner was accused by a Red Bull employee of inappropriate behavior. A subsequent investigation by Red Bull had cleared him of wrongdoing. Someone then leaked some emails that allegedly prove the allegations have merit. Jos Verstappen wants Horner fired. There are rumors that if Horner doesn't leave, Max may leave Red Bull for Mercedes, and Newey may leave the team too.

That is on top of the controversy of Andretti's entry application getting rejected by FOM despite the approval from the FIA, and Hamilton moving over to Ferrari.

It's great fodder for the next season of Drive to Survive.

Latest twist: documents/texts/etc were leaked to the press recently and some say they might be bogus, might not. The accuser has just recently been suspended by RB, without explanation ATM.

Back