Fender Factory Tour pictures.

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I have a ton of pics and I'm going to post them here and there over the weekend but I have to say that the tour this time was WAY better than the tour I took in the late 1990's. I can also see why Fender is making instruments better than when I was actively selling them for a Fender dealer in the 1990's and early 2000's.

Modern Saint, Speedracer and Grover from the forum also went so I'm hoping that they share some pictures, too!

304014_10150337451732862_551542861_8030175_704707182_n.jpg

In front of the new visitors center:

IMG_6041.jpg

a few pics from inside:

IMG_6042.jpg

IMG_6043.jpg

IMG_6044.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6048.jpg

This is the "metal shop" where they use presses to punch out pickguards as well as neck plates and other metal parts like amp chassis (which is a row over). Anything that needs to be chromed is sent to an outside vendor:

IMG_6051.jpg

Many of the machines in this area are 40-50 years old

IMG_6052.jpg

bins of parts:

IMG_6054.jpg

IMG_6054.jpg

pickup bobbins

IMG_6056.jpg

Deluxe reverbs

IMG_6057.jpg

passing by the wood shop

IMG_6058.jpg

neck blanks

IMG_6058.jpg

our guide telling how they come with a little bit of milling done

IMG_6061.jpg

an old style machine that cuts four necks at a time using a physical pattern to copy the cuts for the router. My first tour most of the machines were still like this.

IMG_6062.jpg

IMG_6062.jpg

Jacksons

IMG_6064.jpg

necks getting truss rods and skunk stripes

IMG_6067.jpg

shop fixtures for Jackson guitars

IMG_6068.jpg

I think these are neck sanders...

IMG_6069.jpg

installing a skunk stripe

IMG_6071.jpg

a newer CNC machine cutting necks...this was one of the green pattern following machines the last time I was there IIRC.

IMG_6072.jpg

IMG_6073.jpg

They have one of each type of neck Fender makes hanging on this wall with a number that corresponds to the program in the CNC computer that makes the correct carve

IMG_6074.jpg

putting in frets. this is where the CNC process ends and everything is done by hand. the guy to the left is placing the frets in each slot and the lady is seating them with an arbor press

IMG_6076.jpg

IMG_6078.jpg

before the fret ends are cut off

IMG_6081.jpg

wood!

IMG_6082.jpg

IMG_6083.jpg

strat body blank. this is a two piece body for a trans or sunburst finish. If you notice the difference in lengths between the two boards that is for the upper horn on a strat.

IMG_6084.jpg

explaining how the CNC machine cuts the bodies (I forgot that there is the CNC process for the bodies, too)

IMG_6085.jpg

the system in the ceiling that mists to keep the humidity at the right amount for the wood

IMG_6086.jpg

bodies being cut

IMG_6087.jpg

bodies, some with the shielding paint already in the cavity. This goes in anything that is not a reissue...the reissues don't get shield paint because that's not how they were originally made.

IMG_6088.jpg

inlays and stuff on the necks

IMG_6089.jpg

buffing after paint. We didn't get to go in there because of potential contamination but the guide showed us a movie about the process....

IMG_6089.jpg

IMG_6089.jpg

more parts..finished pickguard assemblies I think

IMG_6092.jpg

yep

IMG_6093.jpg

assembly

IMG_6094.jpg

After paint

IMG_6096.jpg

IMG_6097.jpg

IMG_6098.jpg

finished necks in bins waiting for bodies

IMG_6099.jpg

the guitars cure in the air above the factory floor

IMG_6100.jpg

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

electronics. this is where they are wiring up pickguards and making pickups

IMG_6103.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

pickup wire

IMG_6106.jpg

winding pickups

IMG_6107.jpg

in the Jackson corner

IMG_6108.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

A Roswell

IMG_6111.jpg

I didn't get too many pictures of the amp section...cabinets are made in Ensenada and then shipped here covered with hardware on them to be mated with the amp chassis and speakers

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6113.jpg

An Eric Clapton tweed model chassis

IMG_6114.jpg

These are fr Tom Harkenrider

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6117.jpg

Cool!..what do you think they are doing better nowadays exactly?

More modern CNC machines for wood shaping, for one thing. The older "pattern following" (I think they might also be what they call a "pin router") machines were pretty inconsistent as the tool heads would wear out I guess. IIRC they used to split the wood into grades and the nicer stuff went into MIA guitars (especially ones that you could see through a transparent finish) and the not so nice stuff went to solid colors and Mexico for the MIM instruments. They make all of the necks for Mexico there and the finishing is done in mexico so it's the same materials but much less time is spent on the MIM necks before they are considered "done".

Mark I think you covered the pictures just fine! I was surprised at how much manual labor goes into each guitar. I assumed machines did more if it than they do.

Working on the factory floor looks like no fun at all. However in the teambuild Custom Shop area they seemed to have a great time. The master builders are sequestered away each in their own area. My favorite guitar of the tour was a Telecaster made up like a White Falcon by one of the master builders. He called it the "White Chicken". Said the price would be $5k - $6k. Unfortunately to rich for me.

The coolest sight was the drying racks in the ceiling that can hold 7,000 guitar bodies.

Thanks to Grover for driving the bus, I had a great time!

Mark I think you covered the pictures just fine! I was surprised at how much manual labor goes into each guitar. I assumed machines did more if it than they do.

Working on the factory floor looks like no fun at all. However in the teambuild Custom Shop area they seemed to have a great time. The master builders are sequestered away each in their own area. My favorite guitar of the tour was a Telecaster made up like a White Falcon by one of the master builders. He called it the "White Chicken". Said the price would be $5k - $6k. Unfortunately to rich for me.

The coolest sight was the drying racks in the ceiling that can hold 7,000 guitar bodies.

Thanks to Grover for driving the bus, I had a great time!

I dug the White CHicken too. SO ugly but so cool :embarrassed:

Also cool was seeing Abigail Ybarra in her cubicle winding pickups when we got there. :)

Not a single LPB body to be found? :annoyed:

Seriously though, that place looks awesome. I especially dug seeing the Jackson stuff. Plenty of guitars for Peeker to poke his eyes out with. :grin:

Not a single LPB body to be found? :annoyed:

Seriously though, that place looks awesome. I especially dug seeing the Jackson stuff. Plenty of guitars for Peeker to poke his eyes out with. :grin:

The custom shop would have been fun but we couldn't take pictures. Lots of whacky shit there.

More modern CNC machines for wood shaping, for one thing. The older "pattern following" (I think they might also be what they call a "pin router") machines were pretty inconsistent as the tool heads would wear out I guess. IIRC they used to split the wood into grades and the nicer stuff went into MIA guitars (especially ones that you could see through a transparent finish) and the not so nice stuff went to solid colors and Mexico for the MIM instruments. They make all of the necks for Mexico there and the finishing is done in mexico so it's the same materials but much less time is spent on the MIM necks before they are considered "done".

Good to know, thanks! :thu:

Very cool tour. One of these days I'm going to get to the Martin factory; it's only an hour and a half from me.

Back