Question: Fellow old folk of MWGL: is Thunderbird wine still a thing?

Motorik

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Random-ass question, I know.

I figure we are the folks to know the answer to this, what with all the love for other stuff that the world has moved on from (Golden Corral etc.). Plus, when was the last time you drank it?

I wanna say it was probably a full 25 years ago for me.

I was more of a mad dog drinker in the late 80s, very early 90s. I think I had Thunderbird once.

I’ve got a buddy that had a bottle a couple years ago. In his words it wasn’t there for him to drink, it was a conversation starter. Conversations were had.

Last time I was anywhere near Thunderbird (actually it was Mad Dog) was 1987....June. I went truck driving with my Uncle who worked for United van lines and we stopped in Illinoise where he lived so I went and spent the weekend with one of my cousins. We went out on a Saturday evening. it was me , my cousin driving his 1980's Ford Ranger and his girlfriend and two of his buddies. It was a wreckless midwestern summernight in the cornfields. We got drunk, drove through corn fields, ran over a few mailboxes and then my cousinn and his girlfriend went for some quiet time and it was me and his two friends...one of them had been drinking Mad Dog since before he joined us...he started to stink later and we found out he had shit his pants....most likely from too much mad dog

the end.

Thunderbird was never really a thing with the group I hung out with, so I've never even had an opportunity to try it, nor Mad Dog. Probably says a lot more than I care to admit about the world I grew up in and the way certain brands of alcohol were relentlessly sold and marketed to very specific communities.

Not seen it here for decades.

MD is still confusingly popular with males of a certain demographic and gets a lot of social media traction when they release a new "flavour".

The weans love Dragon Soop and I've seen a lot of el Dorado empties lying around alleys the past couple of years.

I am partial to a half bottle of Buckfast en route to the football.

There used to be a hilarious site that was all reviews of "bum wines"; MD 20/20, T-bird, Boones, etc.
I'll have to see if I can find it.

It was never a thing for me. Back in the 60s I would drink Mother Goldstein's kosher wine or, at some point, Boone's Farm.
Same. I knew it was around, but never partook of MD or Tbird. However, I do recall a few rounds with Spiñada sangria, and Boone's Farm. Didn't last long though, I made the transition to beer pretty quickly in my youth. The beer equivalent at that time was Schlitz Malt Liquor tall boy cans.

I have fond memories of savoring some fine Boone's farm around a fire on the beach back in ye olde college days

Then there was this. I remember drinking it but don't remember how it tasted.
s-l500.jpg

Back