EZ Drummer. Help me.

Chihlidog

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I know Ive brought this up here before but I am terribly thick-skulled. I can use EZ-drummers pre-set beats and pre-set fills. I have no clue, however, how to create my own.

I originally purchased a midi controller for it, but I could never get it working so I sold it. I wanted to just be able to tap out the drums, I thought that would be the easiest way.

I dont have that anymore. After all this time though I still havent learned how to MAKE a drum track. Can someone explain to me like I am a TOTAL IDIOT (because I am) exactly, step by step, how to make a drum track in EZ Drummer using reaper? Or link me to a site that does?

Thanks peeps.

Can't really help much as I've never used Reaper. Only thing I can suggest is getting on Youtube and looking through the tutorial videos people have put up there.

Once you've figured out the basics of how to do it in Reaper, if you have any more questions about the actual sequencing, I might be able to help. :)

This is relevant to my interests as I'm about to pull the trigger on the EZ Drummer/Classic Rock package. Like Chilli, I'm much more likely to want to programme my own beats from scratch, rather than use loops. At the moment, I'm using a programme called "Rhythm Rascal" which is basically a MIDI editor/drum machine where you can programme beats from scratch. The standard kit is fine for metal and I also have a bunch of .wav samples of some more subtle drum kit hits..:embarrassed:..but EZ Drummer appears to have superior sounding kits.

So, I think this will work if I programme the beats in Rhythm Rascal, export the drum track as a MIDI file to Reaper, and set EZ Drummer as my vst effect or "output" in Reaper..and map the relevant MIDI numbers across..so if the kick drum = "7" in Rhythm Rascal, make sure it's the same in EZ Drummer...that should work.

Correct?

Any help appreciated!! :)

This is relevant to my interests as I'm about to pull the trigger on the EZ Drummer/Classic Rock package. Like Chilli, I'm much more likely to want to programme my own beats from scratch, rather than use loops. At the moment, I'm using a programme called "Rhythm Rascal" which is basically a MIDI editor/drum machine where you can programme beats from scratch. The standard kit is fine for metal and I also have a bunch of .wav samples of some more subtle drum kit hits..:embarrassed:..but EZ Drummer appears to have superior sounding kits.

So, I think this will work if I programme the beats in Rhythm Rascal, export the drum track as a MIDI file to Reaper, and set EZ Drummer as my vst effect or "output" in Reaper..and map the relevant MIDI numbers across..so if the kick drum = "7" in Rhythm Rascal, make sure it's the same in EZ Drummer...that should work.

Correct?

Any help appreciated!! :)

It should work if you can get the mappings correct. Alternatively, you can set the Ez Drummer on the track you create, "insert new midi item" from the Reaper menu, then double click the midi item and you will get the piano roll that you can program beats in a grid. Usually I will just get a 2-4 measure beat going and stretch it out (it will end up being a looped) and go from there. If you do want to customize the entire track, stretch the beat out to the length of the song, then right click and select the glue option. This will create one long midi item out of the looped midi item.

It should work if you can get the mappings correct. Alternatively, you can set the Ez Drummer on the track you create, "insert new midi item" from the Reaper menu, then double click the midi item and you will get the piano roll that you can program beats in a grid. Usually I will just get a 2-4 measure beat going and stretch it out (it will end up being a looped) and go from there. If you do want to customize the entire track, stretch the beat out to the length of the song, then right click and select the glue option. This will create one long midi item out of the looped midi item.

Ah!..thanks Ronk!..I hadn't considered that. I'll try and see if it's easier to programme beats in the piano roll vs the Rhythm Rascal editor I guess..

Thats pretty close to what I do in ProTools most of the time.

in Protools I have to create a Midi track and an Aux track and open EZ Drummer as a plugin on the Aux track. I also have to select EZ Drummer as the output for the Midi track. then I'll find a groove that is closest to the one I need for the song and drag it from the groove browser to the midi track and then loop it on that track. Where ever I need fills or other changes I'll make them in the Midi editor/piano roll complete with velocity changes.

I just downloaded the "Addictive Drums" demo version..pretty damn cool. Really nice sounds...I'm going to have fun with this in the next few days :)

I just hit things with sticks. :embarrassed:

I am not that talented. I need to push buttons or I look like this.

jeanclaudevandammevsboloyeung.gif

Last edited:
I had addictied when I fisrt got EZ Drummer...one of our teachers gave me his copy but it wouldn't work with the version of ProTools and OSX that I was running at the time. I kind of wish I had another copy of it to try now, though.

Well, I'm making progress. This evening, I've learned how to use the MIDI editor in Reaper to edit beats from Addictive Drummer to suit what I'm trying to do. :cool: I really want to get a song done for the Recording fest..we've picked a pretty straightforward song from 1964..:embarrassed:, so I hope I can get it done in time. :)

Back