Do you have Optimus Prime?

image.jpeg

My kid was nuts about Battle Beasts when he was little. He is now 33, and those little fuckers still turn up, occasionally (usually under a bare foot...)

I actually did have the original Optimus Prime action figure.

Knowing me, I probably blew it to smithereens with M80s, or set it on fire, or something.

I mostly had Star Wars and GI Joe stuff. I don't know if I had any Transformers. I remember getting some fuggin' Go Bots.

My little brother had them. I think I missed the craze by a few years.

That's a prime example where I was all totally rooting for the villains. #TeamDecepticon all the way; they're way cooler.

When I first saw the movie as a kid, I was elated when Megatron killed Optimus Prime - ooops, spoiler alert! - because the expectation is always that the good guy prevails, and because Megatron was superior in every way.

As a child, I failed to realize that Megatron was a buffoon. And, as an adult, I think it's totally awesome how, minutes later, Megatron is crushed like an insignificant insect by Orson Welles, in his final performance. However, as a child, I thought that was incredibly lame.

So. In conclusion...

Fuck the Autobots, and fuck Michael Bay.

Generation 2

When Hasbor began to re-release the originals as G2, I got onto the bandwagon and bought the G2 series.

Back