Dealership Totals Customer's Camaro ZL1, Owner And Dealer At War

Yeah, the dealership should have immediately eaten the loss, then taken it out of the ex-employee's hide. The car should have never left the garage.

There's actually a somewhat happy ending to this. GM and another dealership are stepping up and getting the guy a new car and apparently his payment will remain the same

http://jalopnik.com/owner-of-camaro-zl1-crashed-by-dealership-is-getting-a-1501366861

SVL might be able to shed some light on who has responsibility/liability but the dudes insurance has paid out. I assume they will go after the Delaware stealership & the fired service writer. The stealership will prob also sue the service writer I suppose.

I think the stealership's offer of a different used ZL1 w/ two previous owners, aftermarket wheels, and carfax accident damage reported was a pretty lame, extra cash not withstanding. Then to basically call the guy an extortionist because he didn't bite was just insult to injury. They obviously earned this bad press.

Can't GM pull a dealership license for stuff like that?

Down at Shaw AFB, SC we had a Dodge dealer outside the gates that was so shady they had their dealership with Dodge revoked. They tried selling used cars for awhile, then went under.

That dealership needs to learn the difference between minimum legal liability and doing right by the customer. The fact that it took GM and a different dealer from 1,000 miles away getting involved is pretty disgusting.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

That dealership needs to learn the difference between minimum legal liability and doing right by the customer. The fact that it took GM and a different dealer from 1,000 miles away getting involved is pretty disgusting.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Different state laws are different, but OGG basically has it right. It appears liability was established and the issue was the level of damages (read, amount of money) paid out on the claim. Similar to Allstate (and other insurers) for years messing with people that were hurt due to a clear liability situation, such as rear end accident. (basically, you can't run into who is is established in the lane in front of you. Liability is clear if you do), but nonetheless disputed liability repeatedly in the court system (losing at mandatory arbitration, then getting a new trial de novo aka new trial under the rules) thus pushing the cost up for the poor injured people and trying to force a settlement for less, when liability was never an issue in the first place. Granted, some plaintiffs would run up costs but the vast majority follow a pretty standard course of treatment. And anyway, if the insurer wants to challenge the level of care, but liability is clear, why continue to contest liability? Judges started to award attorneys fees and sanctions as a result. I don't do a lot of PI any more, that but that was how it was back when I lived in the city.

Likewise, here the issue in the property damage claim is what is the replacement value of the used car. The insurers tend to be very actuarial about this number, using their own value books or whatever databases concerning used car values. Those of us that own quirky classic cars such as old Alfas or old BMWs, etc., know that it is very difficult to get good replacement value for your car if it is totaled. This is a more specialty car and so it is always hard to get full value.

So yeah, OGG has it right. The dealer maybe was legally only on the hook for a like used vehicle, but probably should have stepped up and avoided this PR headache. The higher ups at GM saw the problem and stepped it up to stop the bleeding. Always seemed to be that way. The bottom level adjuster would hold the line and see if the claimant would push it. It always seems like it takes pushing the issue past the bottom rung adjuster to a person with better decision making power to get a case properly resolved, that being, if it is a higher level case. In this case, it seems it would be.

P9090021.JPG

The current version of this.

Last edited:
I have an '06 Mustang that I love but the '13 and '14 Mustangs give me a funny feeling in my pants.

The Mustang II was a modified Pinto. The engine bay was modified to be able to handle a V8.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

There was a guy in my high school that was a year older & had a monster fast mustang II. Ugly as sin but it could dig out of the starting line and just rip through the 1/4.

The year after he graduated, he led the cops on a three state, multiple hour, high speed chase. Fast enough that the cops had to frequently back off and try and follow with air support & hand off to the next jurisdiction. He wound up losing them in Maryland. Course, they staked out his house and eventually arrested him a few days later. I'll have to see if I can find the old article; it was absurdly funny how many things they charged him with.

...The year after he graduated, he led the cops on a three state, multiple hour, high speed chase. Fast enough that the cops had to frequently back off and try and follow with air support & hand off to the next jurisdiction. He wound up losing them in Maryland...

Perhaps less impressive if you figure that the cops were probably driving K-cars at that time. cop0rotflmao

Back