David Torn in NC this week

57tele

Multimeh
Hey guys, not sure if any of you are in the Triangle area in NC, but David Torn is playing a solo show at the Cradle in Carrboro this coming Thursday. Tickets are $25. Pricey, but the dude is a genuine genius guitar hero (he's "Splatt" on thegearpage). Amazing player, producer, composer--resume includes stuff with Bowie, Maddona, Jeff Beck, John Legend. Show is 9:30, and there's a workshop at 7pm for an additional $50. I'll actually be playing an opening solo set on my Mohan Veena.

http://www.catscradle.com/calendar/ for more details.

For a sample of that Hindustani slide, here's a couple little improvs.

First is just some basic scale exercises.

And this is a quiet little improv.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MttOeMSA1xs

I don't think $25.00 to too much at all to see a player of his ability and background.
I agree. In fact, I'd say it was a bargain--it's a very intimate venue (it's the back room of the Cradle, if you're familiar with the place). I'm pretty stoked!

Just chiming back in to say this went amazingly well. I played pretty well, but above all, David was just amazing. Very open and encouraging--a real joy and inspiration to talk to--and his clinic and subsequent set were just ridiculously great.

Here's a clip from one of the shows on the tour.

I was warming up in the green room most of the afternoon, so missed a lot of the technical clinic he gave beforehand, but what I did hear was really deep and sophisticated. He's apparently been involved in collaborating on the development of some really wild devices.

And yeah, it was close to Franklin St--technically on Main St in Carrboro, about three blocks from where Franklin (and Chapel Hill) ends.

I miss the Cradle...have fun!
It's still a great venue, for sure. They've actually expanded to include a smaller room in the back of the main room. Have played the big room many times and more recent;y have done a few in the new smaller room. Always first rate sound.

There's actually a pretty huge controversy surrounding the place right now. Complicated but basically, the town wants to redevelop that block with a very large complex of buildings of some sort. As part of the plan, the Cradle was promised a much larger footprint in the new building. The developers apparently changed their minds on that part of the deal and now the Cradle is considering moving to Durham :-(

It's still a great venue, for sure. They've actually expanded to include a smaller room in the back of the main room. Have played the big room many times and more recent;y have done a few in the new smaller room. Always first rate sound.

There's actually a pretty huge controversy surrounding the place right now. Complicated but basically, the town wants to redevelop that block with a very large complex of buildings of some sort. As part of the plan, the Cradle was promised a much larger footprint in the new building. The developers apparently changed their minds on that part of the deal and now the Cradle is considering moving to Durham :-(
Well that would fucking suck.

Back