Cookware jam....

I bought a Lodge dutch oven, lined with ceramic and heavy as hell. I am still learning how to use it properly. I bought a twelve inch skillet, good quality, that is oven safe to 500 degrees. Used it to roast a chicken and was really pleased with how it came out. I wasn't able to afford a comparable one that didn't have a no stick coating though.

Hmm. Alright :grin:

Do that already. The butter doesn't seem to help much, maybe I need to use more :embarrassed:

Your pan probably isn't hot enough before your adding the oil/fat. Hot pan, cold oil + room temp food is the general rule. There's some vids on yt that demonstrate how to test the preheat with a few drops of water so you can readily judge when it's ready to go. After adding the oil/ fat you want to put the food in quickly so the oil isn't just sitting on the heat, breaking down

There isn't anything wrong with non stick as long as you know what it's capable of, and treat it as such. Nothing worth spending a ton of cash on, but they hold their value for what they are for the time you use them. There is no ultimate non stick pan as far as i've used, and i've used the pricy stuff at work and home. It just breaks down eventually, before it actually starts coming off, it'll need some help after 2 months of *heavy* use. Hard to beat them for eggs.

Your pan probably isn't hot enough before your adding the oil/fat. Hot pan, cold oil + room temp food is the general rule. There's some vids on yt that demonstrate how to test the preheat with a few drops of water so you can readily judge when it's ready to go. After adding the oil/ fat you want to put the food in quickly so the oil isn't just sitting on the heat, breaking down

Hmm, I've done that, but I was probably leaving the butter in there too long. It's been a while, but I seem to remember the butter almost flash-browning as soon as I put it in the pan. Not helpful.

Sidebar: how do you keep eggs and the like from sticking to a stainless steel pan? Or is that a lost cause? We got rid of all of our nonstick stuff and got a set of Kirkland SS pots and pans. It's nice enough for us, but I'd rather spend less time cleaning than cooking and eating.
It also helps if you only use one pan for eggs and pancakes / French toast.

Back