CL Fail - Full Size Fender Strat Copy

f75f8548579c6946dd2f518350f32806.jpg

Found one at the pawn shop. Can't be that rate.

f75f8548579c6946dd2f518350f32806.jpg

Found one at the pawn shop. Can't be that rate.

That one is from the early 70s. I had one of that exact style, except it had a single pickup and no trem.

The craigslist one is from the 60s (I think). Oddly, there are truly people who collect these turds - particularly the older and rarer models.

Actually, the old Teiscos aren't that bad. For the day, they were probably a decent entry level guitar. The zero fret (which almost all Teiscos had) had the distinct advantage of insuring a fairly low action without requiring precision nut work.

The pickups were not very good. Most tended to be very microphonic.

I think the attraction of collecting Teiscos is that they were a LOT of guitarists first guitars - traded off as soon as they could get a name brand. Like anyone who collects things from their youth, they are grasping at the wispy threads of what life was before the responsibilities of adulthood sucked all the enjoyment out of it.

Wow, did I just say that? It has been a long day...

Actually, the old Teiscos aren't that bad. For the day, they were probably a decent entry level guitar. The zero fret (which almost all Teiscos had) had the distinct advantage of insuring a fairly low action without requiring precision nut work.

The pickups were not very good. Most tended to be very microphonic.

I think the attraction of collecting Teiscos is that they were a LOT of guitarists first guitars - traded off as soon as they could get a name brand. Like anyone who collects things from their youth, they are grasping at the wispy threads of what life was before the responsibilities of adulthood sucked all the enjoyment out of it.

Wow, did I just say that? It has been a long day...

Yep, they're microphonic as all get go (I remember the Castilla my brother and I played/shared for a few months, when we were teenagers), but they have this kind of cool gnarly, lo-fi sound. Jon Spencer's Zimgar falls in this category, and for all of you blues snobs, who insist only a Fender or Gibson will do, don't forget that Hound Dog Taylor used to play a Kingston.

bio_pic.jpg

…and for all of you blues snobs, who insist only a Fender or Gibson will do, don't forget that Hound Dog Taylor used to play a Kingston.

Hound Dog Taylor played slide. Which is often the only thing these old Japanese guitars are good for unless you want to spend $300+ getting the frets and nut replaced.

Silly, misidentifying copy or not, if it had a cool, unique sound I might go for it. I have no prejudices against these old cheapos. A lot of electric blues guys back in the day wrung cool, raunchy sounds out of things like that plugged into an old Silvertone amp (which have been going for big $ for decades now) and rocked the house. Then again, I also don't have a problem with guitars that command 2, 3 or 5k. Not that I have that kinda dough to spend on guitars. :) But I can understand that some of 'em will have that kind of value. Some cheapos can sound great. Some pricies can sound crappy.

Back