New Lesson - Chord Tone Soloing

mosiddiqi

The Curry Master
Staff member
I was thinking about this yesterday when a couple of people mentioned that they sometimes get stuck on the Backing Track Jams where they perhaps feel like they're not sure what to do other than to noodle around in a familiar scale, probably the pentatonic. Awareness of Chord Tones is one way to break away from "noodling".

You usually hear about Chord Tone Soloing as a concept in the jazz world..but really it applies to every genre. The basic idea is to simply target strong chord tones as the chords change. This gives your lead lines a focused effect as it sounds like you're leading the listener through the chords..which makes it sound like you know what you're doing :embarrassed:. You can use non-chord tones in your phrases, but aim to always hit a strong chord tone when the chord changes.

What's a strong chord tone?..well a little knowledge of chord construction helps here. Major chords are built from the 1, 3, 5 of a Major scale and minor chords are built on the 1, b3, 5 of a Major scale. Dominant chords also contain the 1, 3, 5 of a Major scale with an added b7 that distinguishes them as Dominant. If you don't know your Major scale yet, check out Mark's lessons on the subject and come back when the above makes sense :)

The 1, 3 (or b3 for minor),5 and b7 are all strong chord tones when played against their respective chords. As a demonstration, I've recorded a short clip which has this chord progression:

Dmin7/Gmin7/A7/DMaj

So, my "map" of strong notes for each chord is going to be:

D, F, A, C / G, Bb, D, F / A, C# E, G / D, F# A

To keep it really simple, I played a lead line that focuses exclusively on either the 1 (root) or 3 or 5 of each chord as it changes. I've ignored the 7's though they work fine too.

So each time the chord changes, I'm either playing a 1, 3 or 5 of the underlying chord. Also, I try and avoid big jumps to get to my target note, try and approach the target note from no greater than a whole step away, a half step makes it sound even smoother.

Here's the clip:

http://www.box.net/shared/pxvjj0ju8v

To my ears, by focusing on chord tones, this type of lead line sounds constructed and purposeful.

I haven't Tab'd out the line itself because:

a) I think it's more important to really listen to the clip and the effect that the chord tones create.
b) It's slow enough that if you really wanted to learn it, you could work it out :wink:.

So, when faced with a Backing Track, always check out the chords first. This may sound obvious, but I know I've been guilty of wailing away without really paying attention to the changes..and sometimes that works..but it's good to understand what you're playing over...make a note of what the progression is, make a mental note of what the strong chord tones are..and then wail away!

Hope you get something out of this!

BTW, when people refer to Dave Gilmour or even Michael Schenker as being "tasty" players..it's because 99% of the time, they're instinctively hitting chord tones!. :)

Last edited:
My instructor here had me focusing on chord tones also a couple years ago, and I still use that technique. But I tend to be lazy about learning the actual chord notes, and visualize what the barred chord would be in the area where I am playing or close, and figure if it is in the chord, it is a chord tone. Seems to work ok. But I like your way of knowing a bit more about which notes are which, and therefore constructing some ideas that are stronger. I tend to get stuck going out and coming back to the root, which I find by ear, and know the position of in standard barre chords that typically apply for blues based tunes anyway.

Though I have tried to stretch it out chromatically now and then, really, the chord tones, and the extensions north and south on the neck of the basic pentatonic shape forms the vast majority of the notes I use when I solo or fill.

Last edited:
Cool... I have been on a chord tone kick for the last couple months...

:thu:

My instructor here had me focusing on chord tones also a couple years ago, and I still use that technique. But I tend to be lazy about learning the actual chord notes, and visualize what the barred chord would be in the area where I am playing or close, and figure if it is in the chord, it is a chord tone. Seems to work ok. But I like your way of knowing a bit more about which notes are which, and therefore constructing some ideas that are stronger. I tend to get stuck going out and coming back to the root, which I find by ear, and know the position of in standard barre chords that typically apply for blues based tunes anyway.

Though I have tried to stretch it out chromatically now and then, really, the chord tones, and the extensions north and south on the neck of the basic pentatonic shape forms the vast majority of the notes I use when I solo or fill.

Cool, I still mostly "think" pentatonic when improvising, but I'm trying to be more aware of the chord tones so that it sounds more coherent for my tastes. I think if you can take it one step at a time, like get comfortable with finding the root, then 3rds, 5ths etc and just focus on those tones for a while, your ear gets to learn the effect of those tones and you start to anticipate that you want to hear a 3rd or 5th next..that's when it all "clicks" :)

I never know what the note name is I'm playing, but I know the bar chords and also a bunch of triads, so whater the note is, there is a pattern available... While Mo can tell you all the notes in a Gmin7 chord, I can't, but I can play the chord, and I know which notes are the 1st, 3rd, flat 5th, etc...

What's interesting for me with slowing right down and focussing on chord tones, is that after some time, each chord tone carries an emotional impact..and that's why we play right? :grin:..what that impact is will be different for everyone I guess..but you get to learn what a minor third sounds like against a particular chord in a particular context..and then you can target that emotion at will..I think this is a big part of what we call "feel" players do instinctively.

:cool:

I liked this so much I put it on the front page :)

Thanks!..I always felt like chord tones were the Holy Grail when I learned about them..but it seemed so obvious...almost too simple to be true y'know?. Guitar players are always looking for "hot licks" or some super modal insight and the like, I mean, I do :embarrassed:..but you cannot go wrong by following the chords...everything else is adding spice!.

Thanks!..I always felt like chord tones were the Holy Grail when I learned about them..but it seemed so obvious...almost too simple to be true y'know?. Guitar players are always looking for "hot licks" or some super modal insight and the like, I mean, I do :embarrassed:..but you cannot go wrong by following the chords...everything else is adding spice!.

I've been focusing more and more on this way of playing...it really does make what you;re playing relate better to the music you are playing it over :)

Nice work Mo! Chord tone soloing is something that I have been constantly working on for the past 20 years. I have a tendency to play more scalular so I always have to force it by breaking it up with arps and focus on 3, 5 and 7. It is chore but worth it.

Nice work Mo! Chord tone soloing is something that I have been constantly working on for the past 20 years. I have a tendency to play more scalular so I always have to force it by breaking it up with arps and focus on 3, 5 and 7. It is chore but worth it.

Thanks Saint!..yeah I have the tendency to play too many notes :embarrassed:..so this approach helps me control solo's overall a lot better. :)

Back