CD ripping software

Punchy

Slacker Supreme
What's a good CD ripper software these days? I think I used to use Audiograbber way back, and it seems Media Player works but can't update the track info, and Winamp is the same way. I can type it all in, but that's SOOOO 90s.

Finally got an external dvd/CD drive for my laptop and have some catch up to do.
 
I use iTunes. By default it creates .aac but there is a setting to switch to mp3 files.

Jeezy creezy, a half gig just to play some music files? Oh well. Downloaded and ripping. Won't update the album images without signing in to an iTunes account though, why on earth would that be?

1790558338468.png


:lol:
 
VLC is excellent at converting audio and video formats. Certainly does CD to MP3 but doesn't do a look up.

Quick Google points to a tool called MusicBrainz Picard as being good at looking up open access databases to add the meta data.
 
What are you doing, borrowing CDs from the library to rip?
I don't know too many people buying them these days.....
 
What are you doing, borrowing CDs from the library to rip?
I don't know too many people buying them these days.....

I've started buying them occasionally again, especially if I see them when we go thrifting. Also a cool way to support local bands or on bandcamp or whatever. I'm a sucker for watching stuff on DVD/BR too. . . if I have the disc, why would I watch a crappy stream that inserts ads?

Kinda sorta related, I've been looking at a new deck for the car, but can't make up my mind if I want it to have a CD player or not. This alleviates some of the pressure of that decision :lol:
 
I've started buying them occasionally again, especially if I see them when we go thrifting. Also a cool way to support local bands or on bandcamp or whatever. I'm a sucker for watching stuff on DVD/BR too. . . if I have the disc, why would I watch a crappy stream that inserts ads?

Kinda sorta related, I've been looking at a new deck for the car, but can't make up my mind if I want it to have a CD player or not. This alleviates some of the pressure of that decision :lol:
"Kinda sorta related, I've been looking at a new deck for the car, but can't make up my mind if I want it to have a CD player or not."

Easy decision for me. I have lots of CDs and zero mp3s and wife doesn't like it when I listen to them at the volume the artist originally intended so, I only listen to them in my van.
 
"Kinda sorta related, I've been looking at a new deck for the car, but can't make up my mind if I want it to have a CD player or not."

Easy decision for me. I have lots of CDs and zero mp3s and wife doesn't like it when I listen to them at the volume the artist originally intended so, I only listen to them in my van.

It would be poetic if you had this CD playing in your van......

Chevy Van

"She woke up and took me by the hand
She's gonna love me in my Chevy Van
And that's alright with me"
~Sammy Johns

 
I've started buying them occasionally again, especially if I see them when we go thrifting. Also a cool way to support local bands or on bandcamp or whatever. I'm a sucker for watching stuff on DVD/BR too. . . if I have the disc, why would I watch a crappy stream that inserts ads?

Kinda sorta related, I've been looking at a new deck for the car, but can't make up my mind if I want it to have a CD player or not. This alleviates some of the pressure of that decision :lol:

So your ripping your CDs to files to play on your computer/phone or whatever, gotcha.

I have the original AM/FM tape deck w/ optional single disk CD player in my Taco. Hate toting around CD holders even though I still have a bunch in the basement. I thought about a new head unit but cant really find anything that retains that OEM+ vibe so I use a bluetooth FM transmitter to stream my phone audio through the truck system. They're like 20 bucks and work well enough for my purposes.
 
I want to know what the record companies use to generate the files they give to the streaming providers. Because when I try to rip Tool albums it inevitably sounds like shit. But it sounds great if I stream it from Amazon.
 
So your ripping your CDs to files to play on your computer/phone or whatever, gotcha.

I have the original AM/FM tape deck w/ optional single disk CD player in my Taco. Hate toting around CD holders even though I still have a bunch in the basement. I thought about a new head unit but cant really find anything that retains that OEM+ vibe so I use a bluetooth FM transmitter to stream my phone audio through the truck system. They're like 20 bucks and work well enough for my purposes.

The OEM stereo isn't anything special in my car, but I also generally only drive ~15 min at a time anyway, so it's not a HUGE priority. But yeah, the goal would be to use my phone as the music carrier, or a little USB drive, whatever.

I want to know what the record companies use to generate the files they give to the streaming providers. Because when I try to rip Tool albums it inevitably sounds like shit. But it sounds great if I stream it from Amazon.

It's gotta be the way they mix and master for the medium's limitations, no? I thought this came up back when iPods first blew up the scene and studios started EQing for headphones and mp3 compression. I've noticed songs sound different on Spotify vs radio vs CD, and it depends on the song as to which version sounds better to my ears. . .
 
I want to know what the record companies use to generate the files they give to the streaming providers. Because when I try to rip Tool albums it inevitably sounds like shit. But it sounds great if I stream it from Amazon.

I have an old Yamaha CD burner with hard drive storage. I can feed streaming music into it and burn CD's. The sound is ok, but not like the quality of ripping a digital CD to MP3. The quality of streaming, to hard drive, to CD, on that Yamaha, is about equal to recording a CD on cassette, minus tape age, wow, flutter, and coloration.

That particular Yamaha was a high end machine when I bought it, with excellent A/D and D/A conversion. Maybe, the quality of the A/D/A conversion part of the circuit makes a difference.
 
Back
Top