Can anyone give me a mic reccomendation?

reverend1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Since Im being force to sign Aprils coverfest tune I guess I need a mic. Can anyone recommend a decent mic that would work well for micing my amp most of the time and occasionally be used for vocals? Is that even possible?
idn_smilie

What kinds of interface do you have?

I love recommending the AT202 since it's cheap and works pretty well. Its a Large Diaphragm condenser mic so it would be good for things like vocals and acoustic guitars. For regular electric guitar amp micing you really want something like a Shure SM57 or a Senheiser e609.....

An SM57 will sound equally blah on everything. But it definitely will get the job done. :embarrassed:

What kinds of interface do you have?

I love recommending the AT202 since it's cheap and works pretty well. Its a Large Diaphragm condenser mic so it would be good for things like vocals and acoustic guitars. For regular electric guitar amp micing you really want something like a Shure SM57 or a Senheiser e609.....

An SM57 will sound equally blah on everything. But it definitely will get the job done. :embarrassed:

So I guess what you guys are saying is that there are two mics in my future.

So I guess what you guys are saying is that there are two mics in my future.

Personally, I'd rather have just the AT2020, especially with your interface. It'll be usable on just about anything. An SM57 may be the defacto guitar amp/snare mic, but unless you're running it through a decent preamp I think you'll be seriously underwhelmed.

I'd put up the extra 20-30 dollars for the AT2035, i have one, and i dig it. Probably the most useful feature they add is the 10dB pad switch, which if you don't have one on your interface. The pad is useful for micing amps, it's a very neutral-sounding mic, though. Not sure if you want something like that, but it'll make it more versitile.

Back