bought a knuckle slide...what's a good EASY tune to start learning?

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I've never really attempted slide before, other than to grab a bottle or whatever and do a few notes, then putting it back down.

Figured I'd try the little knuckle slide, it fits either my ring finger or pinky, and still leaves me a bit of room to fret notes normally for that finger. I won't have to adjust my thinking so much :embarrassed:

I've never really attempted slide before, other than to grab a bottle or whatever and do a few notes, then putting it back down.

Figured I'd try the little knuckle slide, it fits either my ring finger or pinky, and still leaves me a bit of room to fret notes normally for that finger. I won't have to adjust my thinking so much :embarrassed:
It's not a popular song around here (or for me personally), but a relatively easy set of slide licks can be found in "Bad to the Bone." I believe it's in open G, but you can fake it pretty well in standard E tuning. Another good option that was actually my first slide tune is Led Zeppelin's take on "Traveling Riverside Blues." Also in open G, kind of similar to "Bad to the Bone," but different.

The knuckle slide will limit you somewhat. The have their usage, but I would suggest getting a full size slide when starting out. You can go dig up a 13/16 deep socket and get going.

Zep's "in my time of dying" is an easy slide starter song.

Do a search, there are a couple of good slide threads. If you have any particular questions, just ask.

I like playing this one. Easy in open G. Chords are G, C, and D with a Em in toward the end.

Last edited:
Back