Astronomy clubs

Punchy

Slacker Supreme
So I finally got around to "joining" the local club. Pretty freaking laid back, ha. Apparently there are only 6 regulars, 5 of whom I met. Two of the guys do research for the AAVSO and were offered the opportunity to use the 24-inch Clark Refracting Telescope that is currently at the Lowell Observatory. They're both older and are weighing pros vs. cons regarding getting it moved up here, set up, building permits, who would eventually be responsible for it, yada yada.

The whole thing is funded by donations, and the guy who keeps the lights on does a bunch of education and public outreach.

Anyway, they do monthly star parties in town, so I'm hoping to make it to my first one on the 15th. :) Anybody else part of an astronomy club/society/group?

I am not, but would like to be......

That's pretty cool!

I looked into it when I moved up to NH.....apparently the local club also have a large scope that is funded by donations/public outreach and you can join their club for pretty cheap.
Unfortunately, it's pretty far from where I live.

I drove by it one day, well, where it is located is back in the woods, and there is a small sign for it.....................it's just too far out away.

Plus, they don't use it in the deep of winter (best time for viewing), because then they'd have to plow the access road for it and keep it heated, so it is hit or miss in the winter months.

That's a bummer that they don't keep the road plowed. We don't really have that problem here. :embarrassed:

I have been a member of the Houston Astronomical Society since '93. I'm not a very good member though, I haven't been to a meeting since like...'94.

I just keep my dues paid up so I can use the dark-sky site. We have a pretty decent site roughly midway between Houston and San Antonio, with concrete pads and electricity and stuff.

Back