Any advise/experience with Gretsch?

emmaporkchop

The face of emmaporkchop
This coming weekend will probably be the last of my guitar shopping this year so I was narrowing down my choices to either a Gretsch Jet (US) or a G&L strat of some sort. I already know I really like the G&Ls but I've never had much opportunity to try a Gretsch. I did get to play an Elliot Easton model several years ago that was great and I still get pissed thinking about the fact that I passed on getting it.
So what can you guys tell me about Gretsch? Good, bad, versatile?

I have always been pleased with the gear I've gotten from Gretsch - 2 sets of drums and a 5120 Electromatic. As with any other instument manufacturer, the higher up you go in price, the better the instrument you get. Then, of course, you have to ask if there is a cost/quality point where the quality is good enough to satisfy you.

As to the versatility of Gretsch guitars, some are obviously more versatile than others, so it has a lot to do with what sound you are looking to get. I wouldn't really equate the Jet with the Strat, simply because of the third pickup available on the Strat, which would give it the edge in versatility, in my book. Also the Gretsch pickups are generally built for that little extra "twang," so if that's not your direction, well . . . you know.

Last edited:
I have a 5120 electromatic and love it. bone stock. really fun to play and stays in tune really well. I might upgrade the pickups but overall its a really nice guitar for the money.

I like the 5120's, but I think I'm leaning more towards a Jet or Double Jet. Sound-wise for what I'm doing they should be fine. Hoping to find a good used US made one but the prices seem to stay fairy high. This might have something to do with me listening to a lot of X lately,

I've played a number of 6120's, Tennessee Rose models and a few Jets, all Made in Japan. They were all well-made, great playing guitars. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with an MIJ Gretsch in terms of quality. And I think they are just as versatile as any other guitar.

In the end, you just gotta play some different models and see if you connect with one.

I have a 5120 electromatic and love it. bone stock. really fun to play and stays in tune really well. I might upgrade the pickups but overall its a really nice guitar for the money.
I also have a 5120 and love it. Great quality.

That great Gretsch sound!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416441561.697072.jpg

i've had several Gretsches over the years, and have one now that i absolutely love. to risk sounding like i'm being provocative, i think the contemporary Japanese examples are generally better than the Baldwin-era examples, and maybe even better than the pre-Baldwin ones. that said, the one Gretsch i've held onto the longest is an old pre-Baldwin duo-jet. it kicks butt, IMO.

i only have experience with the 6xxx series, but the ones i've played and owned were very good, excellent fit/finish, great necks and a pretty cool range of sounds. the controls can take a little getting used to depending on the model, and the Bigsby that comes on a number of models isn't everyone's cup of tea (i love bigsby trems, FWIW). the unpinned bridge can be a bit tricky for people who aren't accustom to it. the solid-body models can get a little heavy (the green 6128T jet i had felt very heavy to me, and i'm a long time Les Paul guy).

here's the gretsch i currently own. it's a Duo-Jet from the 50s. it's pretty rad.

w55GretschDuoJet-003.jpg

w55GretschDuoJet-028.jpg

here's pics of some i've owned over the years:

WEB_GretschJetFireBird-007.jpg

w09GretschDuoJet-001.jpg

w11Gretsch6128CGT-002.jpg

w61Gretsch6118-003.jpg

95GretschDuoJet_004.jpg

w99GrestchSilverJet-004.jpg

That 50s jet is beautiful.

thank you! i love the way it plays and sounds. it has a big chunky neck with a slight V in the neck carve that the contemporary Jets don't have. i don't normally like V-shaped necks, but this one is really perfect (the V shape is very subtle). the pickups are fairly low-output, but they really snarl when i put them through a boost or a mild OD. it's also very light - just under 8.5 lbs. i love it.

I think my favorite MIJ Hollowbody is the Anniversary.
Sigh, someday maybe.
2401001871_frt_tbn_001.png

For now I make do with a 5120, a very nice guitar in its own right
013.jpg

My other fav Electromatic is the 5135 CVT. These things are under the radar and killer.
2505200566_frt_tbn_001.png

In the solid body MIJs, I like the Penguin
2410509806_frt_tbn_001.png

Well there's a guitar show coming up this weekend so hopefully I'll find one of the guitars I like there, I'm sure any Gretsch guitar I see will be way over priced though.

@ellengtrgrl is a huge Gretsch fan. Maybe she can chime in.

OK, I'll chime in. I've had Gretsches off and on since 2002. Like Jaguars, 7-strings, and a good Tele, they are one of those guitars I never get over. Even if I end up Gretschless (Tele-less, etc.), sooner or later, I end up getting another one.

Occasionally you run into lemons (just like any other guitar brand), but generally they're good guitars. I like the Prolines myself (and am a Country Club nut - my main squeeze [my 2013 G6196T Country Club w/ FilterTrons is out getting re-fretted with hypoallergenic frets, due to my nickel allergy [it's the first guitar I'm having re-fretted]), but they can get pricey, although, you can pick up G6118T Annies without the Bigsby for about $1700-$1800 new. Centerblock (like an ES-335 or Es-339) models are made in both the Proline, and Electromatic series.

F.Y.I - they are capable oif MUCH more than rockabilly and clean country tones. I use mine for hard driving rock sounds. In recent times you're seeing quite a few artists you are using Gretsches for anything but twangy stuff. Russel Marsden of Band of Skulls for instance.

Last edited:
"F.Y.I - they are capable of MUCH more than rockabilly and clean country tones. I use mine for hard driving rock sounds."

Always been a big Billy Zoom (X) fan, always loved his sound.

Back