Another project-

Kevman

not a n00b anymore
DSC_0742.JPG
DSC_0827.JPG
I built myself a 2x12 cab last month and since I am now a newly semi-active forumite I figured I would share.

I am no master builder. I employ butt joints. All material I scavenge from the evil laboratory or Home Pedot.

Box= 11" wide x 3/4" pine.

Baffle= floating 1/4" birch ply.

Drivers= Celestion Greenbacks

Jack= import strat football..lol

Wiring= 2x 16 ohm in parallel for an 8 ohm cab.

Grill Cloth=repair kit window screen over pine frame with plenty of staples. This will be changed as well but I haven't decided what with.

Piping= strand from one of those hippie bamboo beaded curtains. Hehe this will either come off or be installed more robustly.

Finish= Black Plasti-dip spray paint-ish stuff with some Plasti-dip "glossifier" spray to give it some sheen. Back is plain old black primer because I'm going to cut a new 2 pc one up and add a piano hinge in the middle so I can flip up to a semi-open back.

Casters= $2.99 each from HD.

Dimensionally I made it as small as I could and it is the full 11" deep, I didn't rip the pine narrower.

Handles= HD specials top mounted. I'll be using carabiners on a strap so I can lug the cab over my shoulder/back while I carry a head in one hand and gig bag in other. 1 trip beeotches!

I'll definitely end up doing a vinyl finish on this one. I'm leaning towards something like black w sparkles. Like cool seats in a bass boat.

OK, the pics: You can see how small it is in the pic with it on top of the 4x12 and next to the 2x12 Line 6 combo. There is maybe an 1/8" of space between drivers.

Now I have a rig that will fit in the front seat (of my Honda fit) and go in/out in 1 trip. It sounds great BTW. The Greenbacks are 98dB which is more efficient by a good shot than the 95db 10" Jensen Mods I was using with the Valve Jr. The mid hump in the speaker frequency response is good match for the Jr. which van sound a little dark. It shines when I hit the front end with my rack eq. The Utopia pedal board is also a good thing to push it with. It will hang with my loud rock band butt the clean Headroom is lacking. I can get passable semi cleans when I roll my guitar volume back.

Last edited:
View attachment 28425 View attachment 28426 I built myself a 2x12 cab last month and since I am now a newly semi-active forumite I figured I would share.

I am no master builder. I employ butt joints. All material I scavenge from the evil laboratory or Home Pedot.

Box= 11" wide x 3/4" pine.

Baffle= floating 1/4" birch ply.

Drivers= Celestion Greenbacks

Jack= import strat football..lol

Wiring= 2x 16 ohm in parallel for an 8 ohm cab.

Grill Cloth=repair kit window screen over pine frame with plenty of staples. This will be changed as well but I haven't decided what with.

Piping= strand from one of those hippie bamboo beaded curtains. Hehe this will either come off or be installed more robustly.

Finish= Black Plasti-dip spray paint-ish stuff with some Plasti-dip "glossifier" spray to give it some sheen. Back is plain old black primer because I'm going to cut a new 2 pc one up and add a piano hinge in the middle so I can flip up to a semi-open back.

Casters= $2.99 each from HD.

Dimensionally I made it as small as I could and it is the full 11" deep, I didn't rip the pine narrower.

Handles= HD specials top mounted. I'll be using carabiners on a strap so I can lug the cab over my shoulder/back while I carry a head in one hand and gig bag in other. 1 trip beeotches!

I'll definitely end up doing a vinyl finish on this one. I'm leaning towards something like black w sparkles. Like cool seats in a bass boat.

OK, the pics: You can see how small it is in the pic with it on top of the 4x12 and next to the 2x12 Line 6 combo. There is maybe an 1/8" of space between drivers.

Now I have a rig that will fit in the front seat (of my Honda fit) and go in/out in 1 trip. It sounds great BTW. The Greenbacks are 98dB which is more efficient by a good shot than the 95db 10" Jensen Mods I was using with the Valve Jr. The mid hump in the speaker frequency response is good match for the Jr. which van sound a little dark. It shines when I hit the front end with my rack eq. The Utopia pedal board is also a good thing to push it with. It will hang with my loud rock band butt the clean Headroom is lacking. I can get passable semi cleans when I roll my guitar volume back.

Nice!

Another Rocktron Utopia man. I have the G100 and G300, both of which I rarely use despite the fact that they are chock full of tremendous tones. I probably ought to sell one or both of them so that someone will get some use out of them.

Yes,
The bamboo is a maybe.
My buddy says it looks like macaroni art from a kindergarten kid. Lol,. I may just leave it on there because he said that.

The Utopia is cool. I amazingly found it at Sam Ash a couple months back. NOS with box and literature and got it for $35. Shoot, just went for strings.

I have to program more presets with the Valve Jr. in mind. The models can't be turned off so you need to go in and flatten EQ and reduce gain before adding any effects. There is already a shortage of clean overhead so if I just want a subtle chorus that's a whole lot of programming for one patch.

The interface is a little wonky and I don't like only having three foot buttons and having to scroll to find the next patch but the thing sounds freaking killer. Even if it just had additional "bank" up and down buttons it'd be much better in a live situation.
I'd probably use it more and it would maybe even replace my pod XT live with one for the big Half Stack rig if I had the 300 model rather than the 100.

I thought the Plasti Dip was going to get me close to a tolex like-like finish without actually having to do that.
I was incorrect.
It looks pretty cool from 3 feet or 5 feet but the thing feels almost tacky even though it is dry.
That's why I wanted to just go over the whole thing in vinyl. I can add some proper amp Corners at that point as well.

The biggest benefit to this cabinet is that it's smaller than the normal 2 by 12 and a lighter because I used pine rather than plywood. The bonus is that it sounds great with the head that I built it for use with.

How funny is the jack? I love that thing.

1469171554580-1166853908_zpsnns84dhh.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks folks! :)

Projects are far between. Well, completed projects. I have a bunch of projects in varying stages of completion. Some have been sitting for years (embarrassing) since last progress was made.

I got the Greenbacks from a NYC studio player who is actually the touring/recording player for Alecia Keys. Cool name drop/. After speaking with him I decided I wasn't going to wait on the cab I wanted it built asap. So about $50 and a trip to HD later and here we are.

Other projects I am planning to start/complete this year:
12 string acoustic bridge re-glue.

6 St nylon classical bridge re-glue. This is a Gretsch my late uncle gave me as a child in 82 I think and it has been sitting bridgeless for about 30 years. I know. Wtf. I strung it up with the wrong strings as a teen and next morning the bridge was pulled off. I didn't realize there were different tensions of nylon strings to choose from, I obviously chose the wrong tension.

Guild X-79 refinish and reassembly. Will need to include gluing on a new 24fret 24.75 fretboard. The guy I got it from tried to scallop the board and it's like, Internet fail blog bad.

Another refinish/assembly project. Memphis Matsumoku era LP. This one is like Mark's The Paul model. Love it. It's getting fully Guitarfetished. Haven't decided on pups yet.

Making and installing a DIY 2 transducer pup system in my Jasmine acoustic. I just procured the transducers this AM from a pair of headphones. I'll be adding passive tone and volume controls and running the guitar through an eq pedal for preampimg duties.

I'm in the middle of fabric finishing one of Dustin's guitars. It needs many more coats of clear with wet sanding in between. Red white and blue plaid. It's gonna be sick....eventually. It's a Kramer Focus.

That's just the stuff that's started or apart or needs work to become playable.

Between work, 2 bands and special time with my lady and family I get not alot of project time. Wish me luck!

Last edited:
I want to say I've used a Strat football input plate on a cabinet, but none of my current cabinets has one, and I'm not sure I've ever sold a cabinet.

I'm in the middle of fabric finishing one of Dustin's guitars. It needs many more coats of clear with wet sanding in between. Red white and blue plaid. It's gonna be sick....eventually. It's a Kramer Focus.

Did somebody say fabric?

1 piece neck trough?

Speaking of fabric.... If pink zebra isn't your thing, there are a million other possibilities.

P1050356.jpg

Back