And......one audition blown.....

Not a paid position, no.

There are paid band members at the main church, but they also teach at a music school the church runs (the parent church is a huge freaking church - too big for me) so that is their living. I don't know if any of the part time musicians get paid, but I doubt it. I've played in churches on and off for probably 18 years and never gotten paid nor expected to. I would assume that in a church that size (10K plus attenders) they will have a deep talent pool. Especially since they run a music school there.

They have not told me no yet - I am just assuming that from the immediate feedback I got after the audition from the guy running the process. And the feedback was very useful - if they do give me the green light to play I will have a much better knowledge of what they are expecting from an electric guitar player in the band.
With this many church musicians you would think there would be a market for an EHX Big Muff Pie in the Sky.

Best Christian guitarist and best Christian album ever made, esp. since it's instrumental and no lyrics. Other than that I haven't heard any Christian music that wasn't desperately derivative of some musical trend, just 10 years late.

R-1768376-1242112609.jpeg.jpg

I love that album.....and Phil is one of my favorite guitar players ever....Christian or not. An amazing musician and a very cool person (I've hung with him a few times).

I have a friend who’s the sound man at his church. My god, the money they spend on the sound system/PA, it would make any local bar green with envy. Times sure have changed.

I remember attending Mass in the 70s when the Catholic Church decided to allow “folk” bands instead of the traditional organist and hymns. It was just a couple of guys with acoustic guitars and a singer with a tambourine. Nowadays, no matter the denomination I guess it’s evolved to full-blown productions.

Is it a paid gig? I recently found out that some of our local "churches" (I put that in quotes since they are the huge mega churches that seem more like big business than a church) pay relatively big money to musicians to play in their bands. With the exception of the full time organist I always assumed it was a volunteer type thing.

That is pretty big here in SoCal. Almost got a few opportunities to play in a few church bands as they were pending gigs.

Not a paid position, no.

There are paid band members at the main church, but they also teach at a music school the church runs (the parent church is a huge freaking church - too big for me) so that is their living. I don't know if any of the part time musicians get paid, but I doubt it. I've played in churches on and off for probably 18 years and never gotten paid nor expected to. I would assume that in a church that size (10K plus attenders) they will have a deep talent pool. Especially since they run a music school there.

They have not told me no yet - I am just assuming that from the immediate feedback I got after the audition from the guy running the process. And the feedback was very useful - if they do give me the green light to play I will have a much better knowledge of what they are expecting from an electric guitar player in the band.

We go to a church with multiple locations as well and it sounds similar. From what I can tell, the paid band folks aren't just paid to be in the band. They have other responsibilities within that particular ministry. My daughter has gotten pretty involved and got a part time job in the young adult ministry so we have met a lot of them when she has them over for bbq's. Fantastic folks really. And it is natural to think of them as Christian band members but really, they are just band members like everyone else. The lead singer has some ego, the guitar player wants to be louder, etc.

And I know a lot of people have a hard time getting used to the modern worship thing, especially if they grew up in a traditional church or Catholic school but honestly, it is what got me back to church. And at that time, I really needed it. But as far as the music is concerned, I love that the service starts off with a little mini concert by a really good band. Plus they usually have some pretty good gear so I pay attention.

Good luck Dave, and as mentioned, regardless of the result it is an opportunity to learn.

I saw Phil Keaggy live in the late 70's; he is an amazing player and did a great concert.

I play guitar and banjo a bit at my church; it is all volunteer.

Well - I got my 'evaluation' today. It wasn't really an evaluation. I won't go into detail - but I will not be playing guitar at my church. I am a bit bummed and my ego a bit bruised, but it's all good. I definitely did not bring my 'A' game to the audition, but I know I am a better player than the very short evaluation would have indicated. I think the issue is that the 'modern worship' genre has a few distinctives, and being as I have not been active in that genre I'm not really up on on those so I didn't perform as well as I normally would. Not that I am a great guitar player, but I do know how to play. I have well over a dozen years playing in bar bands and have played at church for even longer. But not in the style this church plays in apparently. I actually do not even like that playing style or sound at all (personal preference - not a reflection of the music), but I enjoy playing live and playing at church.

I'll just find some other outlet for my music. It's not a style I personally care to invest the time into mastering to a level they expect of their musicians. I do applaud them for expecting high playing standards though. I know I can play to that standard, but I would rather play a music style that I really love.

Well - I got my 'evaluation' today. It wasn't really an evaluation. I won't go into detail - but I will not be playing guitar at my church. I am a bit bummed and my ego a bit bruised, but it's all good. I definitely did not bring my 'A' game to the audition, but I know I am a better player than the very short evaluation would have indicated. I think the issue is that the 'modern worship' genre has a few distinctives, and being as I have not been active in that genre I'm not really up on on those so I didn't perform as well as I normally would. Not that I am a great guitar player, but I do know how to play. I have well over a dozen years playing in bar bands and have played at church for even longer. But not in the style this church plays in apparently. I actually do not even like that playing style or sound at all (personal preference - not a reflection of the music), but I enjoy playing live and playing at church.

I'll just find some other outlet for my music. It's not a style I personally care to invest the time into mastering to a level they expect of their musicians. I do applaud them for expecting high playing standards though. I know I can play to that standard, but I would rather play a music style that I really love.

Something we all need to remember when auditioning, the band is also auditioning for us. Sounds like if you got the gig, you wouldn't have liked it anyway. I know it's still tough not getting the gig, but I have played with you and I would love to have you in my band (if I had one).

Judge not lest ye...

Don't sweat it Dave. You have nothing to prove to a bunch of random dudes with egos stronger than their values. You're a great player, and you'll find the right fit with people worthy of your inclusion.

Yes, well they're obviously just following the example of Jesus who denied several applicants to the 12 disciple positions that opened up one day. I would think a church of all places would open up the opportunity to anyone interested and mentor them, following the example of their beliefs. Wow! is all I can say.

That's what you took from that? It seems to me they did open up the opportunity to anyone interested but they had auditions to select the players that fit the best. All Dave is saying is he doesn't currently fit the style they way they need and isn't interested in investing time into the style because he doesn't enjoy it. It doesn't make these guys, or Christians in general, bad or egotistical or any of that (They may be both but this situation doesn't make them that way). They are putting a team together and trying to get the people they feel fit best. They can't let everyone play. Wouldn't you do that with your band?

But congrats Dave on stepping out of your comfort zone and giving it a shot. Regardless of what the subject, it is always good to push out and try something new. I think we learn something about ourselves when we do that. And if the style didn't thrill you it may not have been as enjoyable as you would want anyway.

That's what you took from that? It seems to me they did open up the opportunity to anyone interested but they had auditions to select the players that fit the best. All Dave is saying is he doesn't currently fit the style they way they need and isn't interested in investing time into the style because he doesn't enjoy it. It doesn't make these guys, or Christians in general, bad or egotistical or any of that (They may be both but this situation doesn't make them that way). They are putting a team together and trying to get the people they feel fit best. They can't let everyone play. Wouldn't you do that with your band?

But congrats Dave on stepping out of your comfort zone and giving it a shot. Regardless of what the subject, it is always good to push out and try something new. I think we learn something about ourselves when we do that. And if the style didn't thrill you it may not have been as enjoyable as you would want anyway.

This is pretty much it. They offered to have me take classes in 'Worship Guitar' from their school, but just have no interest. I know I can play what they want, I just had a poor audition so they don't know that. And bottom line, they need guitar players that match their style of music. I'm not a good match. The guys themselves were very cool. I do have a few suggestions about the process I will pass along to them, but overall I do not see this as a negative at all - aside from a bit of a bruised ego on my part which is not really a bad thing at all.

Sorry you didn’t get the gig.

How is “worship guitar” playing different other forms of guitar playing?

Sorry you didn’t get the gig.

How is “worship guitar” playing different other forms of guitar playing?

The 'modern worship' genre uses a lot of (ie. way too much) delay on nearly every song. A lot of playing chord inversions on the top four strings and single note delay drenched melodies. Very early U2 sounding at times minus the innovation.

This is pretty much it. They offered to have me take classes in 'Worship Guitar' from their school, but just have no interest. I know I can play what they want, I just had a poor audition so they don't know that. And bottom line, they need guitar players that match their style of music. I'm not a good match. The guys themselves were very cool. I do have a few suggestions about the process I will pass along to them, but overall I do not see this as a negative at all - aside from a bit of a bruised ego on my part which is not really a bad thing at all.

I completely agree that having our ego take a hit once in a while can be a good thing. Keeps us from getting too complacent. You will definitely find the outlet that satisfies your need.

Hmm, their school huh. Maybe I’m getting the wrong impression but this all seems super douchy to me.

They wrote their own music, they want to to go to their school, they want you to play exactly as written.

They seem very authoritarian. Seems to me if you want things done exactly as written you might let those auditioning know ahead of time so you could be prepared.

I know the type of player you are and in my opinion they are missing the boat. The more I read this thread the more this gig seems like a chore and not a fun time interacting with other musicians.

I think you dodged a bullet with this one Dave.

... I actually do not even like that playing style or sound at all ....

sounds like what they want is a session guy who will play what's put in front of him. In other words, the gig is a job, not musical expression.

And for those of us who are not professionals ( putting bread on the table with music), that's frequently a deal breaker.

Back