Amplitube iRig - so far pretty cool! Anyone try it?

I should dig out my old acoustic. I have an early 80's MIJ ibanez acoustic. I have no idea what the model number is, but it is a plain Jane looking dreadnought. It is a great player, and I remember it being on the upper end of their models when I got it.

As far as the acoustic goes, I have my Guild at work and a Yamaha at home that I alternate practicing on to beef up my electric chops. That Mike Stern tune I posted from my gig last week was mostly worked out on the Guild to "overbuild" my alternate picking for the 16th note melody at 120....really made like a lot easier once I got back to the Tele with 10's.

I should dig out my old acoustic. I have an early 80's MIJ ibanez acoustic. I have no idea what the model number is, but it is a plain Jane looking dreadnought. It is a great player, and I remember it being on the upper end of their models when I got it.

definitely.

My mom bought it for me in or around 1982 to use for taking lessons. I remember her regularly reminding me to be careful with it, as it cost a lot of money. I think it was around $450, which was a good chunk of change back then.

My mom bought it for me in or around 1982 to use for taking lessons. I remember her regularly reminding me to be careful with it, as it cost a lot of money. I think it was around $450, which was a good chunk of change back then.

$450 in 1982 is like almost $1000 today. that should be a very nice acoustic. especially if it's MIJ Ibanez. :thu:

Let me know how it goes. We're still confident that both adapter and software is better that what was posted above. It isn't just the new kid on the block for apps (this is their first to produce actual quality audio stream and Peavey didn't code any of it), note that we've been doing guitar gear simulation for 14+ years. Agile has nice scale/tab/medical manual/general iPhone apps for sure and they look pretty and they do all that very well. We had 11 apps in the App Store, all of which produced audio (as is our forte) before AmpliTube was release for iPhone.

As far as the batteries (didn't realize you need two until recently), Premier Guitar even stated that they "didn't experience feedback with the non-powered units either" by the way.

...and with an update that should be able to be submitted to the App Store soon there will be no question :) And more gear available. Lots of good things coming soon.

We've updated to 2.0 with some great improvements. There's a DSP update that includes some derived directly from AmpliTube 3 and T-RackS to really make it sound awesome. There's also a ton of free updates like SpeedTrainer (note that there are full apps that charge for this functionality), 1-track recording and reamping, Preset Naming, direct import from iTunes library, export WAV or MP3, I/O level adjustments, 50-song import now, etc. Check it out at http://www.amplitube.com/iphone

Very cool! I have enjoyed having it this summer, and the updates look like a nice improvement. I look forward to the easier direct importing, and the recording looks cool too!

I grabbed one a few weeks ago.

I love the sound I'm getting from it.
I have been switching off with different headsets to see what works best. I may end up getting a better set of headphones.
Things sound great at lower levels on the app and the guitar controls, but tend to break up beyond anything nice.
I assume it's the headphones as the effect is different with different sets.

I tried the free app first and liked what I saw. I bought the full app minutes later.
The upgrades are a welcome addition - well thought out and appear to be driven by customer feedback. Smart business, that.
The song import alone was something that I just couldn't bother with in the earlier version - and I have a media server in the house.
now with importing right from your library in the iPod... piece of cake.. logical cake, if there were such a thing.

I'm trying to find a good way to connect to external speakers of some sort. The instruction booklet says don't use a cable unless it splits the signals out to two separate RCA jacks, but that GnR video above seemed to jack right in to using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (unless there was something off camera that we didn't see). I'll just have to go experiment. I likely have all the cables I need - although will be crappy quality. at least I can do proof of concept before I go drop dollars on better quality cable.

Ya know, between this and the recent price drop on the amp that my wife bought me, she's gonna be upset. I'm loath to tell her that it's available at half price, but now to tell that I might not even really use it....
I need to learn her favourite song. Then it won't matter what I'm using to make it happen. :P

I grabbed one a few weeks ago.

I love the sound I'm getting from it.
I have been switching off with different headsets to see what works best. I may end up getting a better set of headphones.
Things sound great at lower levels on the app and the guitar controls, but tend to break up beyond anything nice.
I assume it's the headphones as the effect is different with different sets.

I tried the free app first and liked what I saw. I bought the full app minutes later.
The upgrades are a welcome addition - well thought out and appear to be driven by customer feedback. Smart business, that.
The song import alone was something that I just couldn't bother with in the earlier version - and I have a media server in the house.
now with importing right from your library in the iPod... piece of cake.. logical cake, if there were such a thing.

I'm trying to find a good way to connect to external speakers of some sort. The instruction booklet says don't use a cable unless it splits the signals out to two separate RCA jacks, but that GnR video above seemed to jack right in to using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable (unless there was something off camera that we didn't see). I'll just have to go experiment. I likely have all the cables I need - although will be crappy quality. at least I can do proof of concept before I go drop dollars on better quality cable.

Ya know, between this and the recent price drop on the amp that my wife bought me, she's gonna be upset. I'm loath to tell her that it's available at half price, but now to tell that I might not even really use it....
I need to learn her favourite song. Then it won't matter what I'm using to make it happen. :P

How do you try the free app without their cable?

I bought their cable.

I tried the free app first to figure out how much more I needed to spend to start having fun.
The free app is great. I just wanted more toys to play with.

So is anyone still liking the i-rig? I hadnt paid attention to them but since I have an ipod touch, I thought it might be a nice thing to have when the girls in my house have taken over and I can play anywhere.

so you buy the cable thing for $40 and grab the free app for the touch or do you get a free version of software for the computer as well? My wife keeps saying she has nothing to buy me for Christmas so I was looking for something reasonable. Worth it?

Yep, I still like mine. Very cool for what I use it for. Like any computer based tool, I underutilize it. But it works great for me as a headphone amp.

I still haven't gotten it. Now that I'm back gigging I might get the cable just to use as a backup amp, though.

So is anyone still liking the i-rig? I hadnt paid attention to them but since I have an ipod touch, I thought it might be a nice thing to have when the girls in my house have taken over and I can play anywhere.

so you buy the cable thing for $40 and grab the free app for the touch or do you get a free version of software for the computer as well? My wife keeps saying she has nothing to buy me for Christmas so I was looking for something reasonable. Worth it?

Yep. I love it.
I have even fed it into my amp and used it as the entire pedal board.

You buy the iRig adapter and then you can use the free app or buy the full app for another 20 bucks.
You can also buy specific amps and effects "in app" from the free app. That's good if you know exactly what you want, but I think if you want more than a few of the options, just buy the full app for the 20 bucks.

There is no PC app with this scenario.

That's a different app all together and a separate purchase.

Also know that if you buy the iPod app and then want to use it on the iPad, it's a separate purchase again.
IK recognizes that as bit of an issue, but it's really the apple app development and app store platform that forces that scenario.
There's no easy way to transfer licenses and there's no easy way to "expire" the iPod license once it's installed.
Some have suggested that any owners should be offered the other versions for free, but there is a completely separate development cycle for each of the platforms in many case. So, that hardly seems like a way to keep the lights on. And if the lights aren't on, there is no support and further development.

That said, if they offered the other versions to me for free, I'd take 'em. :)

I know that some iPod apps will transfer to the iPad without issue and some will not. Mostly it has to do with the graphics being originally developed with the small screen in mind.
and when you move them to an iPad, the expanded graphics are all big square pixels..
I'm not sure what happens with the Amplitube app if you were to attempt it.
There are some apps that check to make sure you're using the correct platform. If that's the case with Amplitube, it won't transfer at all.
I think that's fair though as they have the right to protect their product from bad reviews from folks that try to run it on the wrong platform.

When I get an iPad (not if), I'll likely pony up the 20 bucks again for the app.

I just read somewhere that there is a similar Peavey product. I dont know much about it other than I did read that it didnt have that issue with the phone/ipod/ipad. Apparently the one license will cover it all. Prices for the hardware and free versions seem pretty similar. Both look like fun. I may have to try one out.

I'm considering getting this for my iPod. I've downloaded the free version just to poke about in it, but obviously there's not much I can do without the iRig for now. :shrug:

Seems like a fairly handy thing to have for trips away from home or whatever. Rather than having to load in the guitar, amp, tuner, etc. etc., just a guitar, cable, and then you're most likely taking your phone with you anyway. :) Could have done with this about a week ago when I was stuck out in the middle of rural nowhere with family. :embarrassed:

EDIT: I've just discovered the demo thing in the tools section. Having pissed about with the settings for a bit while listening to the various demos play through, I'm convinced this is a pretty damn nifty thing. Considering my other "amp" is an Axe-FX racked with all my other recording stuff, running through my monitors, with a mess of cables involved... this iRig is lookin' pretty sweet. From what I'm hearing, it sounds pretty damn sweet too. :)

Last edited:
Back