am I an asshole or what?

angry tele

L'effet c'est moi
I think I know the answer but a little confirmation bias never hurt anyone.

here is my ad:
up for sale is my 52RI I bought new in 2007.
It has some wear and tear but its a great Tele!
Twang city but also brings the rock.
guitar comes with nothing but the guitar.
no case or candy or any of that other crap I sold years ago lol

condish is 7 out of 10
frets have a few dents but play well

all original except I replaced the switch tip with a PV52 one which is a more vintage accurate
version. And I removed the finish from the back of the neck and refinished with a few coats of tru oil.

local only. I will not ship!... and i will not sell to XXX so dont bother emailing me
if you're from there.

I really want to sell this to a player.

i'm selling because well, frankly my girlfriend is a bitch. (sorry babe you know I love ya)
she thinks I have too many guitars. I only have 6 what does she know? (lol)
But shes smokin hot and I have priorities (she wants a new phone)
Plus I have 5 other teles and I play my CIJ52 more than this one.

If ad is up then the guitar is still available!
if you email asking if the guitar is still available you will be
dumped into spam and blocked forever (just kidding but those emails are annoying)

and no I will not fall for any stupid or creative scams you dream up.
money talks bullshit walks.
I accept CASH only.

Im selling it so cheap because I need the cash fast. Its not stolen. Ive been on TDPRI
(tele forum) under the name Surfoverb for years literally since the day I bought this tele in 2007.

no trades please

Thanks for looking!

email i got from CL:

"Can you advise if Mexican or American and send pic
of serial number. Also can you send picture of dings on neck or is it the spot down by body only?
Lastly, if interested I would want to have folks at XXX look at it to make sure neck isn't out of whack etc.."

my response:

"nope im not doing any of that. sorry.
it says in the ad its usa. anyone who knows about teles
can spot its usa from a mile away.
XXX are dickheads and dont know shit about guitars.
just an example they sold me a basswood body guitar recently
and two different salesmen swore it was alder
it clearly says on any online ad its basswood and is common knowledge.
plus those guys are douchebags.
oh and if you cant tell if a neck is straight by looking at it yourself youre obviously not a player.
just sayin. i dont want to sell to a flipper."

what say y'all?

idn_smilie

Reactions: Tig
I think you were straight forward in your ad, and if you don't want to deal with that guy, then your response let him know that. You might have been a little more tactful, but then he was telling you that he didn't trust you, so . . .

Wow, and I get shit because the sensitive psyche types can't take a little sarcastic ribbing. This exchange gets the Nobel Prize for dickishness. I can't compete with this.

But no. You can't tell a Fender USA Tele from a Mexican Tele from a mile away. I work with Fender at one of their retail outlets. Their Road Worn 60's/50's Mexican Tele looks similar to their American Master Built 60's/50's Tele heavy relic from a distance, because that's what they're trying to accomplish.

Craigslist is a graveyard of unavoidable compulsive sociopaths, but I think you can avoid the flake factor by being more business-like, specific, and not providing so much tangential information. The chimp factor is very high on CL so you have to be super specific and write plainly with your information and details.

Last edited:
And don't use lol in your ad, you sound like a middle-schooler.

Just sayin', sport.

Ah, never mind. It is Craigslist, after all. Go bananas.

Reactions: Tig
Meh. I thought the girlfriend being a bitch thing was honestly pretty dickish. In 21 years, I have never referred to my my wife as such in any capacity, joking or not.

To each their own.

The rest leaned more toward Asshole than the alternative. Craigslist list being what it is though, I can empathize with the attitude.

It would have been easier to respond to the guy with a short and simple message saying, no, you're not going to do what he asked, and thanks for playing.

Of course, I got an email last night from a reader (I'm a reporter), and I suggested it'd be helpful if he had a firmer grasp on English. So, hey, I can be a dickhead, too, sometimes.

Wow, and I get shit because the sensitive psyche types can't take a little sarcastic ribbing. This exchange gets the Nobel Prize for dickishness. I can't compete with this.

But no. You can't tell a Fender USA Tele from a Mexican Tele from a mile away. I work with Fender at one of their retail outlets. Their Road Worn 60's/50's Mexican Tele looks similar to their American Master Built 60's/50's Tele heavy relic from a distance, because that's what they're trying to accomplish.

Craigslist is a graveyard of unavoidable compulsive sociopaths, but I think you can avoid the flake factor by being more business-like, specific, and not providing so much tangential information. The chimp factor is very high on CL so you have to be super specific and write plainly with your information and details.

this.

ad could have/should have said:

USA Tele 52 Reissue model. Guitar only - no case.

$$$ Cash Only. No shipping

and maybe add some pics. (shows color and condition)

why say something in 1500 words that can be said in 15

this.

ad could have/should have said:

USA Tele 52 Reissue model. Guitar only - no case.

$$$ Cash Only. No shipping

and maybe add some pics. (shows color and condition)

why say something in 1500 words that can be said in 15

Agree, I always make simple straight forward posts for CL w/ plenty of pictures.
I did decide to drop communication with a guy a few weeks back that I was going to buy an amp from cause he was very rude with answers (not about the amp itself but about meeting up in a public place and the fact I'd be driving an hour to meet up at a place that was about 10 minutes away from him) ended up getting the same amp for a better price from GC.
Those are great guitars by the way, wish I hadn't sold mine.

Let's see. Your hot but bitchy girlfriend wants you to sell your Tele. You don't really want to, but you do want to continue receiving her hotness so you run an ad that is so long few will bother to read it and when someone does respond with a question you basically tell them to go fuck themselves. Brilliant! You're a wise man my friend and may yet dodge the bullet.:thu:

Back