Album process: tough decision, but necessary.

Dexter Inferno

Serious error
As some might know, over the last 4-5 years I've been recording the odd tune now and again, aiming for a full album. Recently thought I was finally getting close to being done.

However, after firing up the iTunes this evening and listening to what I've done so far, I'm scrapping it and starting over again. On some tunes it's a less than stellar mix, or drums being recorded in different rooms (or badly recorded on a couple...), annoying flaws in performance here and there, and so on. The biggest problem is the mix/sound inconsistencies due to the songs being done over too long a period of time. Just not good enough for a proper commercial release I think.

Partly also due to replacing my current DAW shortly as my 11 year old P4 machine hardly can keep up anymore. Well, that and serious plans of an incoming lunchbox with a couple of modules. :grin:

If nothing else what I've done so far has served as a very useful pre-prod. :wink:

Really sucks just killing these recordings and starting over again, but needs to be done. Seriously want this to be as good as it can be. and it's nowhere near that yet. :embarrassed:

Man, that's a shame. Your tunes always sound so polished to me.
And on a related note, check your PMs. I sent you some guide guitar tracks for a cover project.

Its a bummer, but I totally understand. My album is going to be about a year in the making and at a certain point you're just not making the same album you started on. All of the sonic differences from recording in different studios would probably throw me the most. I'm lucky in that I have the same studio and engineer for the whole thing and he doesn't let me get away with cutting corners on anything :embarrassed:

Man, that's a shame. Your tunes always sound so polished to me.
And on a related note, check your PMs. I sent you some guide guitar tracks for a cover project.

A bit down about it right now, but at least I now know what to change. On some tunes it would be playing things a bit simpler, while on others spend more time on the vocals, and in general take a lot more time getting the right sounds. So it hasn't at all been useless. :)

Its a bummer, but I totally understand. My album is going to be about a year in the making and at a certain point you're just not making the same album you started on. All of the sonic differences from recording in different studios would probably throw me the most. I'm lucky in that I have the same studio and engineer for the whole thing and he doesn't let me get away with cutting corners on anything :embarrassed:

Your engineer is a hell of a lot better than mine, that's for sure. :grin:

Back