Acoustic Folky-Rock Music

Razberri92

Multimeh
Hey All,

I'm new here. I've played folky-rock music for about 7 or 8 years now. I'm a strictly acoustic player at this point in my life, but I kinda like it that way. I write songs and play at coffee shop open mics, and feminist and political rallies.

Anyway, I've been recording quite a bit lately and have a demo album and EP, both available for free download.

I'd welcome thoughts, feedback, or whatever. :)

http://maggieberry.bandcamp.com/album/brushes-with-death-or-something-quite-like-it

http://maggieberry.bandcamp.com/album/two-cents-from-a-crowded-mind

Thanks for checking out my stuff.

-Maggie

I'll listen at some point, but who would you compare yourself to? I kind of hate asking as I don't think you should define yourself in relation to others, but it's asked more of in an anthropological manner. Besides somewhat defining yourself, it's always interesting to know what an artist thinks they sound like compared to the actually music they're making. It's similar to asking about influences and then hearing a finished product. Eddie Van Halen always mentions Clapton as his main influence, but he doesn't sound a bit like him as a player or writer.

liking what I'm hearing so far.
just an fyi, the colours on that page make it very difficult for us colourblind folks to read.

first song reminded me of something, but I can't put my finger on what.

I'll listen at some point, but who would you compare yourself to? I kind of hate asking as I don't think you should define yourself in relation to others, but it's asked more of in an anthropological manner. Besides somewhat defining yourself, it's always interesting to know what an artist thinks they sound like compared to the actually music they're making. It's similar to asking about influences and then hearing a finished product. Eddie Van Halen
always mentions Clapton as his main influence, but he doesn't sound a bit like him as a player or writer.

I think I'd compare myself to Shawn Colvin in some ways, maybe Mary Chapin Carpenter...

liking what I'm hearing so far.
just an fyi, the colours on that page make it very difficult for us colourblind folks to read.

first song reminded me of something, but I can't put my finger on what.

Thanks for the tip; I've restored it to the default colors. Hope that helps! I didn't even think about people who are color blind!

I like the fingerpicky bits, as well as the overall intimate vibe.

most folks don't :wink:

much easier to read this way.

reminds me of a time I kept telling my buddy to bring his yellow guitar to a gig.
turns out he never owned a yellow guitar, it was green :facepalm:

Very good songs and a unique sound. I can see the Shawn Colvin influence, but it is very different yet close. If that makes sense.

I think you have some nice songs. I also think they could benefit by being recorded better. It sounds as if the guitar and vocals were both done by you at the same time, and it tends to leave both sounding weak. I'd like to hear a more percussive guitar sound or even drums and bass backup. You can still have the guitar up front, but it sounds timid all by itself. I'd like to hear you sing louder. When you push your voice it sounds better than soft and airy. I can hear what you're trying to do, I'd just like to hear you believe in it and belt it out.

I think you have some nice songs. I also think they could benefit by being recorded better. It sounds as if the guitar and vocals were both done by you at the same time, and it tends to leave both sounding weak. I'd like to hear a more percussive guitar sound or even drums and bass backup. You can still have the guitar up front, but it sounds timid all by itself. I'd like to hear you sing louder. When you push your voice it sounds better than soft and airy. I can hear what you're trying to do, I'd just like to hear you believe in it and belt it out.

Thanks for the feedback! Recording is definitely something I'm still working on. I've been upgrading my setup over time, and figuring it all out. My next step will likely be to record the guitar using both a mic and the pickup. I've been a "belter," it's not really in my personality, but I do get comments a lot from people saying that they wish I'd just get more air and power behind my voice. It's definitely improved since I began, but of course, is always a work in progress. :)

Back