Absinthe?

dodgechargerfan

CanadianGary
Administrator
Has anyone here tried it?

The only thing I know about it is that it drove Hemingway insane... or something like that.

The reason that I ask is that a local distillery is set to release their own and it sounds pretty exciting.

http://dillons.ca/absinthe

I'm tempted to get two bottles and put one away. Do spirits age like wine? I wonder...

Yes, I've had it and I don't think it drove me batty

Spirits once bottled don't really age like wine.

I've had it a lot. It's an interesting thing to drink on occasion, but I never got into it enough to drink regularly.

Back in the day, they used to make it kind of like moonshine, with very questionable materials. Sometimes it would end up containing dangerous elements like lead, which is likely what drove some people insane. Otherwise, it's just your standard grain liquor with added herbal flavors.

As Lerxt said, liquors don't age in glass like wine does.

I've had it a lot. It's an interesting thing to drink on occasion, but I never got into it enough to drink regularly.

Back in the day, they used to make it kind of like moonshine, with very questionable materials. Sometimes it would end up containing dangerous elements like lead, which is likely what drove some people insane. Otherwise, it's just your standard grain liquor with added herbal flavors.

As Lerxt said, liquors don't age in glass like wine does.
Yeah, if you don't like anise or liquorice flavored spirits, steer clear

Thanks.

I didn't expect that aging it would make a difference, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

I might still buy two bottles and then, well, I'll get drunkerererr.

Its a strong aniseed flavoured liquor with wormwood which contains thujone. This is supposed to be a hallucogenic but you would have to drinka lot of it to notice it. You would be too drunk by that time anyway.

From my own experience it's highly alcoholic that gets you incredibly drunk quickly, but its a very 'lucid' drunkenness, due to the purity of the alcohol. No hangovers!

Its a strong aniseed flavoured liquor with wormwood which contains thujone. This is supposed to be a hallucogenic but you would have to drinka lot of it to notice it. You would be too drunk by that time anyway.

From my own experience it's highly alcoholic that gets you incredibly drunk quickly, but its a very 'lucid' drunkenness, due to the purity of the alcohol. No hangovers!

Cliff-from%20Cheers.jpg

It's a little known fact that some drinks happen to have higher levels of congeners—traces chemicals produced during fermentation—that contribute to hangovers. Studies have shown that high-congener, darker-colored liquors like bourbon and whiskey lead to more severe hangovers than lighter-colored or clear liquors like vodka, which has none.

That doesn't explain why the worst hangover I've ever had was caused by absinthe :embarrassed:

I've had it recently.

My neighbor had a bottle he got from France.

It tasted like shit (kind of like gin) and it was high in alcohol.

I wouldn't go out of my way to have it again.

The real stuff is made with wormwood, which supposedly will fuck you up.....but I didn't get any more drunk off it than I would any other hard liquor.

And with liquor, once it hits the bottle, it is done aging. So old liquor isn't any "better" than new liquor.

I like it, but it's not something I always need to keep on hand. It's an interesting flavour and it's kind of like a "clear" sort of drunken edge. Never had any hallucinations with it though.

It was popular with the artsy crowd in Paris in the time of Toulouse La Trec, Van Gogh, Oscar Wyde, etc.
It was banned for the reported hallucinogenic properties of the wormwood / thujon.
The preparation ritual, with the special spoon, sugar, fire, etc, recalls the junkie's ritual of fire, spoon, powder, etc.
For these reasons it has become cool to hipsters and seekers.
I've never had any. It probably tastes like crap, I hate licorice.
I'd try it though WTH.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"
- Mrs. Pineapple Slim's standard response to "what the hell were you thinking?"

My roommate in grad school brought a few bottles back from a trip to Europe. I forget which countries, but he had one bottle from each country and the were all made with wormwood. I paid for half the cost and we experimented. It's just high proof spirits. I didn't care for the taste but pouring it over sugar did make it taste better. Definitely zero effects apart from consuming a really high volume of alcohol. We both concluded that aside from getting you drunk, absinthe does nothing else.

But then we proceeded to lie our asses off to any gal that would listen and come over to try the strange and mysterious high.

Last I checked (which was a couple years ago when a bandmate was into it), the US stuff isn't permitted to have wormwood in it.

Back