2024 book list. What are you Weiners reading?

GomezAddams

Wandering and wondering
Staff member
We know what the Bathman is reading, but what about you?

I've finished up a few science fiction novels so far. Most were ok, but not great. Finally got around to Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time series. It was solid, but I didn't think it deserves the raves it gets.

Ascension by Nicholas Binge starts off great, but sort of loses steam as it goes along. Does have pretty good Lovecraftian vibes.

I stumbled on Mike Nesmith's Infinite Tuesday while browsing Libby. I won't say it one of the best books I've ever read, but I did have a hard time putting it down. It was an interesting view into Nesmith's life and journey as an artist. Almost no Monkees content.

Russia, Revolution and Civil War - by Antony Beevor.

There was a Terry Pratchett discussion on a discord server I am on. I've never read any Terry Pratchett. Which book to start with?

Lots of stuff. Of note lately American Prometheus (which I found a bit ponderous due to the depth at which it goes into Oppenheimer's association with communism). Rogue Heroes, story of the SAS which I did like. Blindsight which was a good, but very strange SF book. Currently in the middle of the Sword Catcher, so far a decent fantasy book but I fear it's a trilogy (even thought it didn't look like it was) and it just came out. I try to avoid such books if at all possible. I only picked it as I am on the waiting list for Lessons in Chemistry (been waiting for a few months should be getting the book in a week or 2)

I've been reading a whole bunch of YA. Earlier today I finished Olivia Atwater's Half a Soul, which was lovely cozy Regency romantasy. Now I'm on I Feed Her to the Beast and the Beast is Me by Jamison Shea, which is ballet dancer supernatural horror.

1710429246652.png

1710429278962.jpeg

1710429307696.jpeg

1710429321362.jpeg

I've been rerereading a bunch of William Gibson lately. Currently in the middle of Mona Lisa Overdrive.

I have a stack of comics to get through. I’m mostly through the Ghost in the Shell omnibus, then I have some Neil Gaiman book to read, a pile of back issues of Shudder and Vampiress Carmilla, new adaptations of Dracula and Frankenstein that I got last year, the Titan Comics Elric adaptations and probably some other stuff. I also have a couple dozen books by and/or about Rabindranath Tagore that I bought in 2022 and 2023 that I haven’t even catalogued yet, I don’t know if I’ll ever read them but they’re cool so whatever. I’m reading a dry intellectual treatise on typography here and there. And I have a book about anabolic steroids to read as I’m considering getting on them to build myself out before I hit 50.

School is closed due to snow tomorrow so I’m going to find our copy of Maus, or go buy a new one, and tell me daughter it’s some new manga that she should read. She’s 12, that’s old enough for the Shoah.

I've been rerereading a bunch of William Gibson lately. Currently in the middle of Mona Lisa Overdrive.
What did you think of Neuromancer? I tried rereading it earlier this year and I felt like it didn’t age well. I didn’t really care about what happened to Case because he’s a pathetic addict criminal. And I felt like Molly randomly having sex with Case and falling in love with him didn’t make any sense. She’s a strong independent freelance underground criminal woman and she just jumps on a random loser? There’s much more style in the book than substance.

What did you think of Neuromancer? I tried rereading it earlier this year and I felt like it didn’t age well. I didn’t really care about what happened to Case because he’s a pathetic addict criminal. And I felt like Molly randomly having sex with Case and falling in love with him didn’t make any sense. She’s a strong independent freelance underground criminal woman and she just jumps on a random loser? There’s much more style in the book than substance.
I think his stuff and cyberpunk in general is mostly about style. It's more or less cribbed straight from classic noir, with a bunch of neon and cyber implants added. It's got some familiar things to say about what makes a person a person and human vs machine and the evil machine-ness of corporations, etc; but it's mostly about the style.

I didn't really see Molly as getting all that hung up on Case.

Back