2016 line up of Rainbow

Scott Powell

Blackmore Wannabe
I wish Ritchie would do a few more shows as I think this has the promise to be a smoking ass band. The bassist Robert Curiano played with him in the early 2000s in Blackmore's Night and i met him briefly after the 2004 show in Chicago. David Keith is the current drummer in BN
rainbow.jpg

I'd go see them :embarrassed:

And why wouldn't it be Rainbow? Rainbow never had a stable line-up to begin with.

In terms of technical skill, Blackmore is the WORST guitarist that Jens Johansson will have played with in the last 30 years. Yngwie, Timo Tolkki, Matias Kupiainen, and now Blackmore :)

I'd go see them :embarrassed:

And why wouldn't it be Rainbow? Rainbow never had a stable line-up to begin with.

In terms of technical skill, Blackmore is the WORST guitarist that Jens Johansson will have played with in the last 30 years. Yngwie, Timo Tolkki, Matias Kupiainen, and now Blackmore :)

Come on Jbird. Rainbow was the 75-77 lineup. Blackmore, Dio, Carey, Bain, Powell - at a stretch the one with Turner and Glover. When nobody's left, it's just Blackmore with a decent backing band.

And you're wrong about Blackmore being the worst guitarist Jens Johansson has played with. Apart from Yngwie he fucking slays the rest of them.
Yngwie himself wouldn't be where he is if not for Ritchie - and Yngwie would tell you himself. personally. Go listen to Burn. That was made in fucking 74, ten years ahead of Yngwie's prime.
Just pay close attention to what Blackmore was doing. Yes, he was a moody bastard, but along with the Steves Howe and Hackett he was years ahead of everyone else.

Those power metal poseurs these days owe him. Technically better? Perhaps.
But not reaching his ankles in terms of ability.

Tolkki and Kupiainen? Fucking nobodies. Ritchie's a bloody legend and created the whole genre Yngwie has been living in for the last 30+ years. Sorry, but I'm not kidding on this. Ritchie pretty much invented the whole blues/heavy rock meets baroque thing.

As for those other two? What the fuck have they done? I have to admit I don't even have any idea who they are. That should tell you something. And I've been a metalhead since discovering Black Sabbath and Maiden as an 8 year old in 1982, as well as studying music history since then.

Sorry for getting angry, but you're so wrong on so many levels it's absolutely insane.
Again, sorry. You're a really nice bloke, but I'm going to have to arrest you on this.

Maybe I should stay out of this one, as I have quite strong feelings on the subject. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
Come on Jbird. Rainbow was the 75-77 lineup. Blackmore, Dio, Carey, Bain, Powell - at a stretch the one with Turner and Glover. When nobody's left, it's just Blackmore with a decent backing band.

And you're wrong about Blackmore being the worst guitarist Jens Johansson has played with. Apart from Yngwie he fucking slays the rest of them.
Yngwie himself wouldn't be where he is if not for Ritchie - and Yngwie would tell you himself. personally. Go listen to Burn. That was made in fucking 74, ten years ahead of Yngwie's prime.
Just pay close attention to what Blackmore was doing. Yes, he was a moody bastard, but along with the Steves Howe and Hackett he was years ahead of everyone else.

Those power metal poseurs these days owe him. Technically better? Perhaps.
But not reaching his ankles in terms of ability.

Tolkki and Kupiainen? Fucking nobodies. Ritchie's a bloody legend and created the whole genre Yngwie has been living in for the last 30+ years. Sorry, but I'm not kidding on this. Ritchie pretty much invented the whole blues/heavy rock meets baroque thing.

As for those other two? What the fuck have they done? I have to admit I don't even have any idea who they are. That should tell you something. And I've been a metalhead since discovering Black Sabbath and Maiden as an 8 year old in 1982, as well as studying music history since then.

Sorry for getting angry, but you're so wrong on so many levels it's absolutely insane.
Again, sorry. You're a really nice bloke, but I'm going to have to arrest you on this.

Maybe I should stay out of this one, as I have quite strong feelings on the subject. :embarrassed:

The only thing I disagree with is Yngwie acknowledging his debt to Ritchie. The last stuff I heard him say about Blackmore, was that he owes him nothing...after being asked politely about his influences and only mentioning Hendrix and Bach. Relative to a written interview, it seemed Malmsteen just about bit his head off when he suggested that Balckmore was/seemed to be a clear influence. I know believe he acknowledged the influence when he was younger, and denying it any time is ridiculous if you are in anyway familiar with Ritchie's, music, playing, and even stage presence.

Yngwie's a technically proficient but highly boring douchebag of a musician for these ears.

Ritchie is as you mentioned, on par with Howe and Hackett, but I'd add May, Gilmour, Beck, and Fripp to the list of particularly proficient as well as singular and unique "rock" players to come out of England. Of course there are other stellar English players, but many of the other greats while awesome weren't as unique as this list. Many were mainly blues players, which I love.

Anyway, I gotta call you out as well JBird...Ritchie is by leagues the best Jens had played with.

I'm not saying at all that Ritchie is a bad guitarist. I'm saying that as far as sheer technical ability goes, both Tolkki & Kupiainen are 'better'.

Music isn't all about technical ability though. Heck, if I had to choose between taking to a desert island an AC/DC album or a MAB album, I'd pick the AC/DC album. No way in hell that Angus is a better player, ability-wise, than Batio though :embarrassed:

Blackmore has written many great rock songs. Tolkki…I'd say a couple of the old Stratovarius songs are, or SHOULD be considered 'Classic', they are very good, and memorable. The new Stratovarius, with Kupiainen? He's a great player, and can play all the Petrucci/Vai/Gilbert stuff. But on the 4 Stratovarius albums he's played on, I couldn't at the moment hum anything from those 4 albums. Good albums to be sure, but nothing that sticks with you.

So yeah, I listen to Deep Purple & Rainbow more than I listen to Stratovarius :embarrassed:

I too, feel strongly about Blackmore :embarrassed: He's different class in my opinion. And Ronnie Romero can sing. Hopefully, there'll be a DVD at least, if not more dates.

Although, I do think Uli Roth is overlooked when it comes to the whole rock/baroque thing. Listening for the zillionth time to the "Tokyo Tapes" reissue, which is excellent, and Uli's playing is incredible. Sweep arpeggios, super fast classical lines (for that time), diminished chords, all the building blocks are there, plus probably my favourite use of the mixolydian mode in "All Night Long" "Backstage Queen" and "Catch your Train"

I am a huge Blackmore fan as well. I think one thing that often gets over looked is he has been a very prolific songwriter for almost 50 years and it amazes me that the Music he has composed for Deep Purple,Rainbow and Blackmore's Night are all very different yet by the same token are easily recognizable as composed by the same man.

I'm paraphrasing him here,but he said something along the lines that it's easy to write complicated music but much more difficult to write simple catchy songs that people can relate to.
if he dosent do any more dates with Rainbow i'm hoping he'll do some dates in the states with Blackmore's Night

Back