10 Must Know Jazz Standards Every Guitarist Should Know

Thanks Saint. This kinda stuff is always on my to do list, but I never seem to buckle down to it. I think my problem is I never had Standards playing around the house growing up. It was country music for my parents, and pop and rock on my transistor. I never internalized the vocabulary, so it's hard to stick em in my head.

I can't tell you how many times I've been playing and an audience member loudly requests one of these songs....

Wait, I can tell you: Never.

Thanks Saint. This kinda stuff is always on my to do list, but I never seem to buckle down to it. I think my problem is I never had Standards playing around the house growing up. It was country music for my parents, and pop and rock on my transistor. I never internalized the vocabulary, so it's hard to stick em in my head.

I grew up listening to a lot of these songs but it never stuck. Even some of the old country as well. A lot was my interest which at the time was not music. As for now, I play a few of these tunes but need to woodshed more as I want to expand my gig range.

I can't tell you how many times I've been playing and an audience member loudly requests one of these songs....

Wait, I can tell you: Never.

If your clientele is not in this musical genre, they won't request it. Keep on playing Mustang Sally and Sweet Home Alabama.

I used to know a bunch of these. I couldn't solo interestingly on them for shit, but I had the changes and versions of the melodies under my fingers. Not anymore though. Some of it's great stuff, some not so much.

I kept expecting to see My Funny Valentine. Dain't happen though. :thu:

I keep following off of this bandwagon so my goal for woodshedding is to work on 2-3 tunes a night for a month. I am using iRealB for my rhythm section.

Back