tx7d4glcht8arbzo51fq.jpg

vqkhgvy1lunu76mwsox5.jpg

ewefzkctp62p6ykih3o6.jpg

clge66vtpa75yxeuax23.jpg

tyvy62qchvjwa0l7mtxx.jpg

mmwhxwdmt5ms0hwbikym.jpg

p69r9ge0orm3tzekbh0k.jpg

Martin D-12-20 1968 With Hard Shell Case

1968 Martin D-12-20 with Hard Shell Case. This guitar has had a couple of repairs but is in good shape for the year. The pickguard has been replaced, there was a professional repair done on the neck at some point (pictured above) and they did a great job. There was also a professional repair made to a split in the side of the guitar (pictured above), which was repaired from the inside and is another solid repair. Serial number is pictured above as well. Other than the two repairs mentioned the guitar is in good shape for the age. I do not believe the hardshell case is a martin case but it does fit the guitar well(pictured above)

$999

Wouldn't buy a repaired guitar over the internet. I'd need to play it first. On the other hand, I have yet to first a Martin that I like.

If in played well in person I would consider that one.

0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
---------------^-----------
Like-O-Meter

I'd like to give it a try. It took me a long time before I finally broke down and got a 12-string (Tak, in my case), but I've never regretted it. There are some songs that require one!

I've always figured the folks who profess their hatred of 12-string guitars are mostly guys with tiny, little girl-hands!

stirthepot

I would def play before purchasing.
Would depend on the quality of the repairs, condition, and how it plays and sounds.
If solid, seems a fair price.
But I don't have much use for 12 strings so I would bother personally.
I'd much rather have a D18 of the same vintage, but you don't really see em for that price.

I'd like to see how it plays. I am not wild about the slotted headstock, and I know that some of the older 12-strings aren't braced as well as they should be. If it plays well, the price seems reasonable. (By the way, you usually don't post prices. Any special reason for posting it this time?)

I'd like to see how it plays. I am not wild about the slotted headstock, and I know that some of the older 12-strings aren't braced as well as they should be. If it plays well, the price seems reasonable. (By the way, you usually don't post prices. Any special reason for posting it this time?)

It had repairs so I anted to cut that controversy off at the source.

That would suck to restring with the slotted headstock, IMO. I wouldn't give that much attention if I saw it. I don't like the hassle of 12 string acoustics and don't buy broken guitars as a general rule.

I'd like to give it a try. It took me a long time before I finally broke down and got a 12-string (Tak, in my case), but I've never regretted it. There are some songs that require one!

I've always figured the folks who profess their hatred of 12-string guitars are mostly guys with tiny, little girl-hands!

stirthepot

Or guys with tendinitis.

Nah. I'd be worried about a headstock repair with a 12 string regardless of any of the other problems.

stirthepot

haha! i owned a 12-string acoustic for many, many years. it was a Takamine D-28-12 clone (F-400-12, or something like that). i played it a lot initially because it worked with an acoustic trio i was playing with at the time. once that trio ended, i found myself never reaching for the 12-string. it was a very nice acoustic overall. however, it was very difficult to keep in tune across all 12 strings. it was very temperamental with regard to season change and relative humidity changes. the replacement strings i had access to at the time weren't great and didn't seem to last very long. the extended headstock with the extra tuners made the whole guitar neck-heavy so it was a little uncomfortable to play sitting down or on a strap.

i don't see myself ever owning another 12-string in this life time. i'll leave you to wonder if that means i have girlie hands :wink:

I love 12 strings, and I've played a couple of Martin 12s. They were nice guitars. I could possibly see buying it (especially since it's a 12 fretter), but I will admit, that buying a used 12 string sight unseen, is a bit of a gamble. You see, 12 string guitars really should be tuned down at least a step (to concert D), or even better yet, 2 steps (to concert C), due to the added tension, the 6 extra strings put on the neck and top of the guitar. Unfortunately, all too many 12 string players don't do this, and tune them to standard pitch, with predictable results over time - the neck collapses back into the top, the bridge collapses forward toward the neck, and the top bulges. Hence the reason why this guitar would be a gamble - unless the previous owner(s) tuned the guitar down, it will have the issues mentioned above. The question is, are the issues as bad (to the point where the guitar can't be decently repaired, or the repairs are ridiculously expensive), as they were on the '69 D-12-20 I passed on buying a couple of years ago.

Back