GPOTD 07.20.16

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
tejkj9l31fj9czyx0lcg.jpg

inodlzap2uxla4vyghsa.jpg

tyggwja0ansh1y7gwek8.jpg

Kiernan T-Bone Special 2004

A 17″ cutaway archtop, this guitar is designed and built for those guitarists looking for an electric instrument in the spirit of the Gibson ES350, with a bit more eye-candy.

This guitar was hand crafted by Brian Kiernan from his one man shop in Old Town Kainaliu, Hawaii. The neck is 3 piece curly Maple with top AAA Curly maple laminate upon which are mounted 2 P-90 style pickups, 2 volume and one master tone control. The configuration is extremely versatile, easily handling everything from rockabilly, Jump Blues in the T-Bone Walker style to smooth jazz tones. Beautiful ice tea sunburst, with Ebony peghead overlay.

Specs:

Top and back - Multiple bound, AAA Curly maple laminate, Parallel Top Bracing,
Iced-tea Sunburst Finish standard.
Sides - Hand-bent solid AAA curly maple.
Neck - 3-Piece AAA Curly Maple
Fingerboard - Bound Ebony with Mother of Pearl/Abalone inlays
Headstock - Oversized with Bound and Inlaid Ebony faceplate.
Birdseye maple back veneer.
Grover Imperial Tuners
Ebony Bridge.
Birdland-style tailpiece.
P90-style pickups
No Switches to break - wired with two volume and one master tone control - 500K pots.
Swanky Ameritage Hardshell Case included.

Other than the odd shaped pickguard and the weird control layout, I like it. It's a little more flashy than I prefer, but what the hell. Variety is the spice of life, right?

There isn't anything on that one I like.

I like that the bridge is angled a bit the inverse of normal, but mostly straight. It totally mis-aligns the strings over the pups and nearly has the high E falling off the fretboard. It also reminds me of a Gibson Tal Farlow, but it's not a Gibson, which may or may not be a plus.

I like that the bridge is angled a bit the inverse of normal, but mostly straight. It totally mis-aligns the strings over the pups and nearly has the high E falling off the fretboard. It also reminds me of a Gibson Tal Farlow, but it's not a Gibson, which may or may not be a plus.

Once you noted that, I took another look an realized that the nut was cut so that the high E string seemed closer to the edge of the freatboard than the low E. It's possible that the camera angle might be creating that illusion, but I don't think so. Overall, I like the guitar, but I've played a guitar where the strings didn't line up with the pole pieces of the pickup, and I could tell there was something missing in the sound of the guitar.

Back